2 replies to this topic

#1 desbest

desbest

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

Please answer this please. Post has been edited.

C++
Is it easy for a php coder to learn?:
What do people typically use this for:
Should I learn this:

Ruby <-- edited
Should I learn this:

Python
Should I learn this?:

Delphi
Should I learn this?:

Java
Should I learn this?:

Javascript
Should I learn this?:

Edited by desbest, 09 December 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#2 vekien

vekien

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

you put the same language twice.

But i would like to see peoples results too.

#3 Demonslay

Demonslay

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Location:A strange world where water falls out of the sky... for no reason.
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Coding, Splinter Cell, Cats

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Well, I cannot give you an opinion on all of them, but I can for a few. I'm also a PHP coder myself, as it was the first coding language I learned (apart from HTML and CSS, lol).

C++:
Extremely easy to pick up on from PHP, since PHP is coded in C++, lol. Almost all of the syntax is the same, there are a few extra concepts you might have to pick up on such as pointers and dynamic memory. When you're learning C++ you'll notice something; PHP does a crap load of nice things for you, lol. C++ can be a son of a chicken farmer when it comes to types and stuff, and is really strict on stuff like conversions, casting, and other things. For example arrays can only hold one type, you have to specify the type of every variable you declare, you have to declare the return type and types of the parameters of any functions, among other various things.
You also have to include certain libraries for certain functions and methods: not everything is available at run-time like PHP.

Other than a few differences, it is very much like PHP and you should be able to pick up on it quick; even advanced OOP is almost the same if you're literate with that.

I believe C++ is used for just about everything: alot of Windows applications are made in C++, and I've found alot of stuff from simple console output and calculation stuff I do in my C++ class, to some avid games, to database management programs. It basically does it all.

JavaScript:
I picked up on this language right after PHP, and I find it enjoyable, especially when playing with the Prototype and Scriptaculous libraries. You can do alot of real fun stuff with JS.
As for being easy coming from PHP, I think it pretty much is. Alot of the same concepts are there with objects, everything is more loose and not nearly as strict, and doesn't have much true OOP unless you use the Prototype or other frameworks. Syntax is pretty similar also.

People use JavaScript for basically user-interaction on websites, such as web tools and user-friendly validation stuff. When combined with a server-side language (PHP!) in the form of AJAX, it can be taken to a whole new level basically. I've also seen some interesting games with JavaScript, such as Battleship (with AI!) and puzzle games.

It all basically comes down to what you are willing to learn, what you are interested in, and what you think you will be needing for your jobs/hobbies ahead. I'm primarily a web programmer, so I taught myself alot of web-based languages (Java and ASP are about the only ones I know nothing about), but I'm broadening my range by learning C++ now because its so similar to PHP, and I might just need it if I can find a better job with it.
You can also study more than one at a time of course, since they can kind of interact with one another. :lol:

I think Python and Delphi are kinda old, I've never really seen much wen it comes to those, but I know Python is used for gaming. Java is used to online stuff like games and applications, and can kind of be a better version of Flash as far as I've seen (in presentation and user use I mean, I've never really seen actual Java code). Visual Basic seems to be a popular one, and I see alot of it around, though I think it is more for Windows only. And C#, um, I know nothing about other than it is derived from C, so it should be similar to C++.

If you believe you will be more interested in web programming, go for JavaScript and everything else (SQL, Flash/ActionScript, Java possibly), or if you think you might be more interested in platform programming, you can go for C++ and/or VB. For gaming, you can gor for Java or Python, or even Flash.

And vekien, he didn't put the same language twice; Java and JavaScript are completely different languages, as is C++ and C#. A simple Google search will prove that to you.

Edited by Demonslay, 08 December 2007 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users