1 reply to this topic

#1 drewdrewdrew

drewdrewdrew

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hello everyone! My name is drew as you can tell, and I am a co-owner of a multigaming organization called Team Exultance, and I have a very high goal to hit and I figured someone could give me some guidance. We have just launched the second version of our website, and i am very pleased with it, but for the version 3 I want to learn how to design and code the website by myself, so that i can get it exactly the way i want it and the exact look.

I do somewhat know how to work Photoshop, but not any clue on several things you would need to know when designing a website, on a scale of 1 to 10 i would rate myself as a 2 or 3. What im wanting to know from you guys is:

Is there any advice or tips ( what brushes i need, what plugins, extra programs, etc.) that the common person wouldnt know that a high tech designer would?

Any advice helps, I already know i need to do alot of tutorials on here to get the feel of alot of photoshop features, but there is so much more i would think like different gradiants and stuff like that.

Thank you for reading, and if you like you can see our current website and tell me what could be done better @ www.teamexult.com (this will also help me).

So for anyone still wondering what im asking is: What tips and techniques can you give me on designing and coding our new website.

NOTE: Yes, we did just launch v2 of the site, and the v3 wont be til another few years, im just giving myself that much time to get better at coding and designing.

thanks for reading!

Drew

#2 PhilDesigns

PhilDesigns

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

there's a lot of theory you should familiarize yourself with, the most important being color theory.
I don't even know where to start when it comes to telling you what you should know when it comes to designing a website; I started teaching myself 8 years ago (age 14)

Basically you arent going to be able to create a website (especially one that you already have envisioned) until you are familiar with the techniques you'll be needing to apply. All you can do right now is look at tutorials, you can find some good ones on building basic website layouts. You won't be able to create what you're looking for until you start the trial and error process, you're gonna have to produce some bad layouts before you start producing good ones.

For logos you want to use Adobe Illustrator because it is vector based as opposed to pixel based and therefore you'll be able to stretch your logo to any size for marketing purpose without a loss of quality.

As for your current layout, your logo is all over the place and its crowded because of that. Try for minimal clutter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users