JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

Our new website has been launched recently at www.phoenixemedia.com

Critical reviews I find are usually the most helpful so bash away :P

Edited by JimmyJames, 08 January 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#2 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

In google Chrome, I found the icons of facebook misplaced.
They are well placed in IE and Firefox.

Beside that,
IMHO the idea of "murder" client expectations doesn't sounds "negative"?
I mean, it appeals to aggressiveness which is good in current cultures in general, but goes against something created by your potential customers.
Kill the competence, kill the problems, kill the complexity or the burden of creating sites sounds good.
But expectations sounds a wishes, dreams and it sounds to me better to be fulfilled or something.

Here the picture of my chrome browser
Attached File  09-01-2012; Mon 10-45-06 AM.png   1.14MB   5 downloads
  • JimmyJames likes this

#3 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

When I tried to see the contact form I've got a little lost in space, because of the poor contrast I was not sure where to click to enter the values, if at the right of each field, or below.
Perhaps when the user click "contact us" you can scroll and then set focus to the first field, or illuminate the backgrounds differently.

Attached File  SNAG-0159.png   196.19KB   5 downloads

#4 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

I finished reviewing, so beside what I've say... it looks good :)

#5 JimmyJames

JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Awesome feedback thanks for the Chrome issue (I JUST assumed it would be okay since it's not IE :P) - I will fix the contrast in the contact form.

I'm glad my site seems negative, I will try to improve upon the negativity until my site has reached peak BRUTALITY!!!

My site's really good for weening out overly religious people, and boring clients :P I wanted unique clients so I needed a unique site, I understand my design is not for some (probably MOST) customers, and I'm glad, that's by design.

#6 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

You have available
obscureweb.com
obscuredevelopment.com

and perhaps something more like in the image, but obscureweb.com sounds the better to me... plenty of "light" LOL

Attached File  SNAG-0160.png   25.13KB   1 downloads

#7 JimmyJames

JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Nah, I've wanted to change the name for awhile the 'E-Media' part is annoying, but I love the logo too much, probably the 4th redo of the same logo now :P

As far as contrast issues, I think it's time good sir you upgrade to an LCD monitor, throw that old CRT away, the extra 2ms isn't helping you that much on Counterstrike 1.6 anyways :P Zing!

Seriously though, I turned my brightness down to zero and I could still make out the boxes reasonably well so I'm not sure why you're having trouble with that, but I do agree I will add the focus to the first field.

Fixed the like button as far as I can tell. Oh and yes 1P0 the contact form is working.

Cheers

Edited by JimmyJames, 10 January 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#8 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

well... now that you mention it... the problem of not knowing about graphic design makes me have no idea how to well set a monitor :D

I now use the "gaming" preset of my HP w2048h monitor and with that, the contrast is good and the page looks "as designed" so it's better.
In fact... nice page! LOL

My monitor has 3 years of continuous use, perhaps is time of testing its aerodynamics (throw it from the 9th floor).

The logo is great. I think it sticks to the mind. Lot of 'motion', fire and... well... actually more ashes than fire :P

I play quake since version 2 and now in www.quakelive.com (user name -> 1P0 / ipo )
Never got that counterstrike thing xD

(time so set the monitor to 'text reading" preset)

a+
  • JimmyJames likes this

#9 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

I forgot to mention, there is a link at the bottom of www.pixel2life.com that says "join top sites" and sends you to this form
http://www.pixel2lif...m/topsites/add/
There you can enter your website, and after approval it will appear in random sites (I guess).
Sometimes that helps to have additional back-links for increased visibility in SEOs, together with interventions in the forums.

:yoda:
  • JimmyJames likes this

#10 JimmyJames

JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Cool, I will probably hop in on that, however not too sure what I'll be doing as far as placing your link somewhere on my own site. My biggest question is where on the P2L front page is a link to this topsites as I have never seen P2L topsites before.

and to be completely fair I bought my monitor about 5 months ago and just plugged it in and went...I turned my brightness from 100 to 75 hehe, site still looks killer though :P

Also now that the FB Like box is fixed you can see it goes: "We're Crazy about web development and we always murder our clients expectations" :dance:

#11 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

FB looks well placed now for me and the "crazy" message can be completely seen.

Here is an image about the place where the topsites are, then the random sites and weekly sites are taken from there.
I don't think is a "killer service" from P2L, just one more possibility and may only be applicable to tutorial sites perhaps.

Attached File  SNAG-0166.png   133.07KB   2 downloads

#12 JimmyJames

JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't think is a "killer service" from P2L, just one more possibility and may only be applicable to tutorial sites perhaps.

I definitely agree, none the less it will help with baclinks, thus page rank. Have you guys at all considered a blog section (like www.freelanceswitch.com) where you review, and then publish submitted blogs?

#13 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

We are working in a new system that will run in parallel to P2L, having some integration and has some blog functionality, but we didn't think on paid bloggers as that site appears to have.
We've also think about the marketplace (http://www.pixel2life.com/market/), and the code library (http://www.pixel2life.com/code/).
So we're going to reshape some services in the new system and probably include some components in P2L.

Our biggest challenge is "how to empower the P2L users". As you see, some users are amateur graphic designers, some are pros.
Improving the SEO of Pixel2Life.com and the tutorials and forum Q&A ranking is a good point to start.

So we ask ourselves... how can we help these guys to get the work done, get more jobs or less (but better) jobs?
making a system to hold their resumes?
keeping them up to date sending the newsletter? (are you registered?)
using facebook, twitter, enabling google +1, facebook login, twitter login, openid, etc., in the forums?
But at the same time... should we compete with linkedIn to hold resumes of designers?
Or with blogger, wordpress, etc?
May be the marketplace will be a good point... but in business you need to know your limits and get an equilibrium between offering a "unique value" and "compete for market share".

What is sure, is that we are going to make some noise in the web :D
  • JimmyJames likes this

#14 JimmyJames

JimmyJames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Dang! Sounds like you guys have some killer ideas in store, and maybe I'll see if I can add a few snippets in the Code Library now that you mention it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phoenix emedia, portfolio, website, review, critique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users