• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:48 PM

ok, heres my site,:
http://www.geocities.../testlayout.htm

now if your using aything other than 964X..err I cant remember, the text, as most of you will see, is either way off to the left, or way off to the right.

I created the entire webpage in photosho, then went back and used dreamweaver to put in the text.

For some reason dreamweaver shifts the text left and right, and i cant figure out how to get dreamweaver to keep the text in place when going from one resolution to another. is there any way to merge the layers? or is there any way to resolve this issue, painlessly as possible?

I would appreciate any help!

stopper

:D

#2 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

It might have something to do with your absolute positioning... I don't know anything about css layers but hopefully someone here does.

#3 _*Dabu_*

_*Dabu_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

First off why use imagemaps? It is alot better just to code it. and try adding text-align: left,right,or center; to your css styles.

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:12 PM

Looks like a layout issue to me... you're trying to lin everything up and using the images as background images. Needs to be cut up and formatted properly so that your text interacts with your tables properly.

But hey, what do I know? :D

Faken

#5 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

thats what I did though, I cut the images, and placed them in diff. cells of the table, then went back with a new layer in dreamweaver, and entered the text in those layers. Im hopeing this is not something I am going to have to completely re do the web page on. But if I must, i will. Its all in the name of fun and learning new things.

#6 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

Send me the html file if you want and I can look at it when I get a sec tonight. Send it to info (at) pixel2life.com

Faken

#7 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

do you just want the HTML file itself? or do you want the pictures also?
I appreciate it! by chance do you have messanger, or Yahoo? if not no biggie, I would just apprecaite the help!

BTW, I apologise for posting this in the wrong place. And I never did comment on this site. This place is by FAR one of the best sites around for tutorials and information. MAD MAD props!

#8 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

I think the problem was when you put the text in a new layer in dreamweaver. I'm pretty sure that's what's doing it.

#9 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:50 PM

I found my issue, ond of the people I work with pointed it out to me. In all honesty, since im new to this, It woul dhave taken HOURS for me to find this, but there was the issue:
Here's the line of code that is "breaking" the text scaling:

<div id="Layer1" class="style1" style="position:absolute; width:472px; height:311px; z-index:1; left: 363px; top: 269px;">

Since it's in a <TD> (table data) tag, you really don't need the position information. Change it to read:

<div id="Layer1" class="style1">

and the text should flow within the table to scale with the page, rather than remaining absolutely fixed in one position.

I'll be trying this when I get home. Thanks a million for the info everyone!

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

<3 glad you got it working and thanks for the props on the site :D

Faken

#11 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:52 PM

Faken,
I got home and tried to play with it, and it still came back the same. now actually all my text is auto. aligning to the center of the page. and the layer disapears.

If you dont mind, I would still like to send it to you to have you look at it! Thanks!

#12 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:06 PM

Jaymz, is there any way to actually put the text on the same layer as the image? Do I need to set the image as a background image? I apologise for such goofy questions. Im still tryin to get used to this.

Thanks!

#13 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

Jaymz, is there any way to actually put the text on the same layer as the image? Do I need to set the image as a background image? I apologise for such goofy questions. Im still tryin to get used to this.

Thanks!

Why you playing with layers anyway? It's just a pain in the ass anyway and screws with cross browser compatibility.

Faken

#14 _*stopper_*

_*stopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:31 PM

because im not sure how to put text over the top of the images. I know I have to use tables, and I have everything lined up, but should I use each box individually as its own image in a cell, or just make the whole thing one big image and put it in once huge cell?

Thanks guys/gals(dont want to hurt any feelings if there are females in here)!

#15 _*Jaymz_*

_*Jaymz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

Try looking at a few tutorials here:

http://pixel2life.co...chQuery=slicing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users