7 replies to this topic

#1 IdleByte

IdleByte

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Sry for multi post, didn't find this forum until after the other one was posted. I'm trying to remove text from an object as if it was carved in stone. I'm getting mad at google cause It's the one thing I havn't been able to find out how to do :D

EDIT - Specifically, I'm looking to make Roman letters carved in a face of a block/triangle, etc.... no specifically stone per se, but i think that would be a good tutorial.... :D

Thanx
IdleByte

Edited by IdleByte, 22 August 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#2 bongoboy

bongoboy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

What software are ya using?

#3 IdleByte

IdleByte

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

Cinema 4d R9

#4 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

look for something called a boolean im not sure if its in c4d but im sure its in max and maya, so u can ask bongoboy hes been using c4d for quite a while

#5 IdleByte

IdleByte

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

feverishly awaits bongoboy :)

#6 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

maybe u can try the help section in cinema 4d, they might have a section about booleans

#7 bongoboy

bongoboy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

there are a number of ways you could do it. But the quickest would be a boole.

have both objects in your scene (text and the shape). Then create a Boole object from Objects/modelling/boole. All you have to do is drop both shapes onto the boole object in your hierarchy to make them children of the Boole object.
If you select the boole object in your hierarchy and make sure the attributes state subtract "A from B". This refers to the position of the objects in the boole hierarchy (A being the topmost)

So if you want to subtract the text{B} from the triangle{A} your hierarchy will look like this

Boole/triangleobject/textobject/

That should work, can't test specifics at the mo, I'm rendering :)

edit:sorry just tested it and I had it round the wrong way, but I've adjusted the post accordingly

Edited by bongoboy, 22 August 2005 - 04:22 PM.

#8 IdleByte

IdleByte

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

Thanks, Been working with it now, the C4D manual has 2 pages (293/294) that are helpful. Now that this is out of the way I can finish working on the rest of the project. Since i'm working on a semi-commercial project, I wish I could throw a few cents to ya.... someday though :)

Thanx,
Idle

Edited by IdleByte, 22 August 2005 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users