OK, I'll be the virgin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _*Garzlok_*

_*Garzlok_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:49 PM

I know using Photoshop I could knock out my sign pretty quick, but I do have a question on my cartoon image. Can I get a similar effect using Photoshop? Is there a 3rd party Plug-in to use? I’ve tried to duplicate this effect (though I haven’t spent a lot of time working on it) but have had no luck. What I wanted to do is mask off an individual in a scene (no problems here), turn that individual into a cartoon (my problem), and re-insert the individual back into the scene (no problem). I wanted to create a ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’ effect.

#2 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:02 PM

Well I'm not a photoshop guru (I'm the resident Corel Photopaint whore) so I don't know if there's a filter for it. I have a cartoon fill filter in Photopaint that does it though... if you look at the drawing, it actually looks like a rastor graphic that has been converted to vector. If you go to Tucows or search Google, you should be able to find a small shareware app that will convert raster to vector and the images will look just like your photojob :)

Try that until I can find me a phtoshop guru to help around here :)

Faken

edit - Here's an example: http://www.algolab.com/index.htm

#3 _*Garzlok_*

_*Garzlok_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:34 AM

I downloaded both the Algolab and another r2v called WinTopo, and played with each for a couple of hours. I liked using the WinTopo better but the Algolab Help section was more informative.

First thing I learned is that resolution is VERY important if you want either program to do a good trace job on a photograph. I don’t know what resolutions you use, but typically I keep web media at 72-75 dpi and if I’m printing I’ll go 250-300 dpi. Well, to get these apps to trace well, Algolab recommended a minimum 600 dpi resolution. 600dpi! I need a 40-inch monitor to see the entire picture at that resolution… ;) .

Anyway at 600 dpi I started to get some nice vectoring that I could actually use, but it still wasn’t “simple” enough. So, being the typical American that I am, I go by the philosophy that more is better. I increased resolution to 700, and things got better. I worked my way to 1000 dpi (ouch!). Then I saw a screen that I’ve never seen before. “Insufficient RAM” I guess a 1 Ghz, 512 MB with a 64MB GeForce 4 machine isn’t beefy enough to do what I want… :) . I guess I’ll wait for the Photoshop Guru, because I have to believe there is an easier way (and one that my machine can perform).:)

I was surfing the web this morning and I came across a Photoshop Plug-in called Harry's Filter (Freeware to boot) Anyway, the plug-in has some 55 effects and one of them is cartoon art. It's just a thumbnail image shown, so I can't see the quality. I won't hold my breath, but maybe I just got lucky

Edited by Garzlok, 31 December 2003 - 11:07 AM.

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 03:48 PM

I also found this for you:

http://www.fake-smil...als/cartoon.php

http://graphicssoft....rtoonphotos.htm

http://www.softpile....6676_index.html

http://pub144.ezboar...picID=366.topic

Hope those help :)

Faken

#5 _*Garzlok_*

_*Garzlok_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:54 AM

Ok, I messed around and got this.

Posted Image

I like it and I don't like it. I like that you can tell what kind of beer I'm drinking. I like that you can almost see the time on my watch. I guess it boils down to simplicity vs detail. How simple can you make something, but yet show the detail you want.

#6 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:38 AM

Ok, I messed around and got this.

Posted Image

I like it and I don't like it. I like that you can tell what kind of beer I'm drinking. I like that you can almost see the time on my watch. I guess it boils down to simplicity vs detail. How simple can you make something, but yet show the detail you want.

Well what you can do is cut out the parts that you want detailed... like for instance the beer can label area, cut it out as a new object. Then cartoon the rest further, then blend in your label cut out so that part has the detail. It's defintely getting there though.

Faken

#7 _*Archangel_*

_*Archangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:22 AM

As far as cartoon filters within Photoshop itself there aren't any. The closest you would come is to use the 'posterize' effect which will give you much of the same thing you have there.

Something else you could do is set your image to a 50% background and then simply trace over the top of it filling it in as a cartoon. I don't have a sample image to show you at the moment but I did the same thing doing a self portrait of myself.

Actually, Freehand or Canvas would probably be the best thing to do this in as opposed to photoshop. I had done my in one of these two, but I don't remember which.

I'll try to remember and get it on this weekend so you can see. It's a little more work b/c it's not a filter, but it words quite well actually.

#8 _*Archangel_*

_*Archangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:12 AM

Here's that self portrait I was telling you about.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users