Photo

After Effects: Why can I not animated my texts opacity?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 psypent81

psypent81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hey everyone,

I am using After Effects 6.5 on a MAC OS X (10.3.9)

And I was wondering why this happens. I want to have my text fade in and fade out. I have three keyframes at the beginning middle and the end. When I check the little checkbox, I have the opacity and change the opacity. Then I go to another keyframe, change it to 100%, but ALL the keyframes change. The really weird thing is that if I render my movie, it works. BUt I want to know whats going on, since I want to be able to what is going on...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

-psypent

#2 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

BEst way to do it and be on the safe side:

Select your layer, press T on the keyboard for opacity values, drag your playhead to 00:00 click once on the stopwatch and change the opacity value to 0, then scrub the playhead to the middle of the layer length, and this time don't click on the stopwatch, just change the opacity value to 100, same goes for the last keyframe, scrub to the end of the timeline (or press o on your keyboard) and again change the value of opacity to 0.

If you need any more help let me know :D

Funkysoul

#3 psypent81

psypent81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hey Funkysoul,

Thanks, that worked:) Now I have another question for you..

I am making some title sequences for a DVD using after effects. Is there a way to make a Quicktime Movie (Or any other format) so I can give it to the editor so he can place these wherever he wants in the movie? I guess what I'm saying is how can I make only the titles opaque while the rest of the background is transparent? Is tehre an easy way to do this? That's the one thing I like about LiveType, is that automatically creates an alpha channel..

If you can help me out, that would really be cool and I would try to help you out in any way I can.
But thanks, I really appreciate it

-psypent

#4 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

cool :P

Basically you just need to create a movie with the size that you wish, and export it as a mov with Millions of Colors+ the plus is for the alpha channel.
So when your editor takes your mov and pastes it into his app (assuming EncoreDVD or Sonic DVD) it will automatically recognize that you have an alpha channel.. That's how I do it :D

#5 psypent81

psypent81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hey Funky Soul,

I posted this exact question elsewhere and they all gave me these complicated answers. This one, I like.

Ok, the program that the editor is using is Final Cut Pro (HD). Does this process hold true for FC as well?

And just so we're clear, I don't have to do anything to my text layers, do I?

Here's my setup:

Text Layers (With the Glow effect)

In Composition Settings, I have the background to white (I dont know how to make it "look" transparent like in photoshop (with the grid).

UPDATE: I just tried exporting my movie. When I modify my "lossless" settings, Channels should be on RGB + Alpha, correct?

I appreciate all the help. Any projects you are currently working on? Maybe I can get inspired :P

Anyways, thanks for all the help

-psypent

Edited by psypent81, 28 September 2006 - 02:06 PM.

#6 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

It works as well with FC.
No you don't have that transparent lookalike as with Photoshop by default, though you can activate it.
When you look at the comp window you have a bunch of buttons underneath it, besides the Active Camera dropdown, click on that one and you'll be able to see the transparency grid :P

Yeh, RGB+Alpha fits best.. since I work with AE7Pro I don't know anymore if the buttons&settings are on the same place.

Atm, I'm working on 2 logo animations which should be done by end of the week, then I need to start building my company's website.

Where do I get my inspiration: Check the showreels from the big production studios and get a grip on recreating those effects :D

#7 psypent81

psypent81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

Thanks FunkySoul, you have no idea how much you've helped me out.

I will try this as I have a feeling that that is what the problem was.

btw, do you have a website? I would like to take a look at some of the stuff you've made, if you don't mind. If not, it's cool:)

Thanks again

-psypent

#8 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

no worries mate :P
As mentioned before, I'm building up my new website, only thing online is my blog ;)

You have to understand that most of the work I do is for clients which I don't have the rights to publish them on my site. (financial clients don't like that)

I'll be releasing a showreel though beginning 2007, so keep an eye on my blog and stay tuned for more :D

I'll be also re-publishing some of my tutorials on AE & Flash on my blog, there you'll be able to have a look at well at some tricks & tips :D

#9 naifcards-bnitamem

naifcards-bnitamem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Re - Setup Program :(

Thank you

#10 psypent81

psypent81

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Funky Soul, I appreciate that.

All the help you've given me was great and on point, so thanks again

Good luck on the website project, I understand:)

-psypent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users