Photo

Pick Your Prize! What kind of prize would YOU like to win?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#101 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

Can I have food that comes out of a wahzoo? Never tasted it before...

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, go watch Over The Hedge lol

#102 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

As goes for a Wii BAZING..

Then why can I count more than 10 posts asking for a wii and less than 2 asking for musical stuff?

#103 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

I agree though, most people here are asking for Wii. And since a Wii would cost half of the 500$, we could have a second price which is not a Wii.

You should stop thinking everybody play guitar or likes KoRns concerts, because i can assure you most don't. The prize should target a wide audience, not a small specific one.

#104 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Precisely... lol

#105 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Well I never said that everyone likes going to concerts, I don't even, and I didn't say everyone plays guitar. And I can assure you that not everyone wants a Wii. Maybe the majority on this forum, but only a small portion like playing video games. Then there's a small portion who like making video games, etc etc. That's why cash is the only reasonable answer. Unless you're going to change the prizes each competition, I say just give away cash.

Ben.

#106 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

Cash is not going to happen. Wii sounds pretty cool :P

#107 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

Well I never said that everyone likes going to concerts, I don't even, and I didn't say everyone plays guitar. And I can assure you that not everyone wants a Wii. Maybe the majority on this forum, but only a small portion like playing video games. Then there's a small portion who like making video games, etc etc. That's why cash is the only reasonable answer. Unless you're going to change the prizes each competition, I say just give away cash.

Ben.

And I told you it WON'T be cash. We are giving a physical/software prize, not cash.

#108 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Lol, give up the ideas peoples lol... there's heaps there and you keep on debating over what and what-not to have.

You can't please everyone...

Besides, if the prize isn't what you want... you can still aim to win and then sell it again on eBay :lol:

Edited by Bug, 15 January 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#109 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

Then get a Wii :lol:

Edited by EAXT, 17 January 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#110 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

Yep I think about 75% of us would agree on the Wii being first prize (I am getting one this week anyways so HAHA..sorry) but like NGPixel said there's $250 left then.

#111 rhys_works

rhys_works

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

It's all very well 75% wanting a Wii, what if someone in the remaining 25% actually won.

Look at it constructively, in my opinion, you can't play this by the numbers. It's not really a matter of majority rules, it's giving the winner something they'd like. On the one hand, you've got gamers out there who would enjoy getting hold of a Wii. But on the other hand, even if it's the minority, it's a pretty strong argument to say (especially given that this is a tutorial website) that other people might prefer something more constructive that will actually help them, software, hardware, etc. In the interests of the adage 'putting back into the community to get more out of it', i'd say that's a pretty strong argument.

In which case, best bet seems to be making a shortlist the winner can pick from.

#112 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

You could just give out a money prize so they could spend it on what ever they want ;)

#113 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

In which case, best bet seems to be making a shortlist the winner can pick from.

Agreed! ;)

#114 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

It's all very well 75% wanting a Wii, what if someone in the remaining 25% actually won.

Look at it constructively, in my opinion, you can't play this by the numbers. It's not really a matter of majority rules, it's giving the winner something they'd like. On the one hand, you've got gamers out there who would enjoy getting hold of a Wii. But on the other hand, even if it's the minority, it's a pretty strong argument to say (especially given that this is a tutorial website) that other people might prefer something more constructive that will actually help them, software, hardware, etc. In the interests of the adage 'putting back into the community to get more out of it', i'd say that's a pretty strong argument.

Normally, a contest have a prize which should be enjoyable by most people. Sorry but i've never seen a contest where winners choose exactly what they want... So yes we can play this by the numbers. And once again, may I repeat that Wii is half of the 500$, the other prize could be something else which would appeal to the other 25% like you say.

You could just give out a money prize so they could spend it on what ever they want ;)

We already said it won't be money dEcade...

#115 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

Definitely not an iPhone... they won't even be avail in Canada until 2008.

Dan

LOL! If you don't like the prize, then don't participate, or pop whatever you won on eBay ;)

Dan

#116 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

So.... we're set for a Wii LOL ;)

#117 rhys_works

rhys_works

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

LOL! If you don't like the prize, then don't participate, or pop whatever you won on eBay ;)

Dan

There's always that, but then you already lose a percentage of your audience.

Normally, a contest have a prize which should be enjoyable by most people. Sorry but i've never seen a contest where winners choose exactly what they want... So yes we can play this by the numbers. And once again, may I repeat that Wii is half of the 500$, the other prize could be something else which would appeal to the other 25% like you say.

We've been looking at different competitions then, cos I've seen a bunch that made a shortlist of possible prizes that the winner chooses from. It's not choosing exactly what you want, it's taking one from a list, or something along those lines. Also, even if that was the case, where does this contest have to be like every other contest?

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, all i'm saying is that it's worth looking at ways you can appeal to everyone if you can.

#118 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

There's always that, but then you already lose a percentage of your audience.

Trust me, if I pop a Wii on here for a contest, there will be no lack of participants ;)

Dan

#119 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

I usually enter contests based on the actual contest much less the prize actually, may sound strange but the challenge it more fun to me than winning.

#120 Xfader

Xfader

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Computers :)

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

A wacom Intuos tablet, a Wii, a videocard, a cheaper digital slr camera? one of those would be very cool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users