11 replies to this topic

#1 DJayAA

DJayAA

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction for making this navigation work. I have this image I created, when you put your mouse over the word I want a small tracing rectangle to go over it, I made this preview in Photoshop.

Posted Image

If anyone can point me to some tutorials, or provide a basic idea of what I should do for this. Thanks for the help in advanced its greatly appreciated.

#2 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

search for Flash button rollovers or Flash navigation tutorials. Should come up with some decent results. If you cant find anything post back here, I (or someone else) will be able to track the links down for you.

#3 DJayAA

DJayAA

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, thats what I have been searching so far, and no luck =/ iv been going through pixel2life.com tutorialized.com talk-mania.com anyone else have any other sites, most of my tutorial sites/community's are Photoshop. Thanks for the input so far.

#4 darkson01

darkson01

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Gfx, skateboarding, playing guitar, listening to punk music and flash!

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

no expert, but i think (notice the word think here people) it could be inside the buttons go to over keyframe and just draw a retangle over the lettering.

unless your wanting the box the slide along the line of links each time you rollover a link, then there will be a little bit of actionsctip involving some maths in there.

be more exact about what you wanting so we can help pin point what your wanting, as you saying you want a box can result is many things happening to that box as it sits over the text.

#5 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

unless your wanting the box the slide along the line of links each time you rollover a link, then there will be a little bit of actionsctip involving some maths in there.

It's actually quite simple to do that. First create your buttons. Then create a seperate movieclip and draw the rectangle in it. Name it's instance "rectMc". Then place this code on every button:
on(rollOver) {
this.onEnterFrame = function() {
rectMc._x -= (rectMc._x-this._x)/5;
}
}
on(rollOut) {
delete this.onEnterFrame;
}

#6 darkson01

darkson01

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Gfx, skateboarding, playing guitar, listening to punk music and flash!

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

It's actually quite simple to do that. First create your buttons. Then create a seperate movieclip and draw the rectangle in it. Name it's instance "rectMc". Then place this code on every button:
on(rollOver) {
this.onEnterFrame = function() {
rectMc._x -= (rectMc._x-this._x)/5;
}
}
on(rollOut) {
delete this.onEnterFrame;
}

goddam, you always make this stuff look so easy :lol:

#7 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

There is a slight bug though.. here's a fixed version:
on(rollOver) {
rectMc.onEnterFrame = function() {
this._x -= (this._x-BUTTONNAME._x)/5;
}
}
//NO NEED FOR ROLLOUT CODE
//Also, replace BUTTONNAME with, well, the buttons name I guess...

#8 DJayAA

DJayAA

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Thanks guys for the help so far. I need to try it and I will let you know how it comes out. What I ment was when you place your mouse over the word, the outlined rectangle slides up around the word and when you move off of the word, the rectangle slides back down. Almost making it look like tabs. Does that actionscript apply to this? Thank you so much everyone for your help so far, it is greatly greatly appreciated.

#9 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:11 AM

That does infact require no actionscript whatsoever ;). I know when I first started out, Movieclips and Buttons confused me when I had them inside of each other, but that's all there is to it. You make a button. On the first frame of that button, make a movieclip which animates the square coming down on the text. Then in the next frame, animate the square moving up off the text.

#10 DJayAA

DJayAA

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

So basically I have about 11-12 different layers? What I did so far is I made a new document. I imported the .jpeg with all the bar and text on it. That is on Layer 1. Then I made 10 "button" layers labeled as button1, button2... etc. On each of those layers is a colorless, rectangle with a gray stroke. Now where I am hung up, is do I make the instance name on every one of those button layers rectMc? Or do I make another layer and make some other object, and name that rectMc? If you could help thsi would be a big help. Thanks again.

Edit: Do I make the rectangles movieclips, with the instance name rectMc, then paste the code under each one?

Edited by DJayAA, 30 January 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#11 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

Well, to save you a long explanation, I've made exactly what you need. I have attached the .fla for you to look at :P

Attached File  links.zip   7.79KB   225 downloads

#12 DJayAA

DJayAA

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thanks so much thats exactly what it is. Thanks for everyones help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users