#1 SkyDiver

SkyDiver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

How can I recreate an effect like this
I love the glowing contrast to the dark colors and whats the best way to make those diagonal lines?

thanks

#2 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

I've got a link to a tut at home that will show you how to do this. Basically its a few layers where you add each effect in layers.

You add a layer for the background colour and perform a gradient on it.

you add a layer for the highlight as a gradient that becomes transparent. You make a path on that layer to give it the shape you want and then do a select based on the path, inverse the select and then delete what is selected, leaving the highlight.

The logo looks like an overlay, as a final layer, though you could add it between the colour and the highlight so that the highlight affects the logo as well. hope that help.s

#3 SkyDiver

SkyDiver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:25 AM

Thanks, I'm gone try it out but what about those diagonal lines?

#4 Will0wz

Will0wz

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

The diag lines are called 'Scan Lines' they come as a pattern in PS or Fireworks.

#5 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

Thanks, I'm gone try it out but what about those diagonal lines?

lol, I never even clicked on it, so didn't realise there were diagonal lines. Hmm.. I'm going to have a crack at it first and if I can figure it out I'll post a tut. hopefully tonight (in about 3ish hours I expect).

I don't think it will be that hard, but I would like to get the glow effect and the fade out happening correct so I'll experiment a bit first. I did something similar a while back and did it so you could easily add a 'icon' to a new copy of the button with minimal effort, I want to see if I can do the same here, should be able to.

#6 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:42 AM

there are 3 (i think, lost count) tutorials here about "scanlines". Find them first, then experiment to make other pattern with smae principle.

When i have time at home i'll give you another example.

But chances are, that this is yet another of my promises that wont get answered afterwards: i just got a sun and this is rather time consuming !

For those who accidently read this: the name of the newborn is Mattis (and NO Donna, i didnt registered him yet here on P2L :biggrin:).
She doesnt read this anyway :flowers:

#7 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

I've had a play around and ended up with the following:

Attached File  99_final_result.jpg   81.14KB   80 downloads

I'll attach the psd file as it's getting late and I'll post a tut on it tomorrow. Hmm. I can't upload a psd files, that's a shame.

Well to make it simple just search for a scan line tut. its very simple, you just make an image that's 3v3 pixels, make the background transparent and use black to do a diagonal line. Select the whole image choose under the edit menu "Define Pattern". This will load it into your current pattern set. Go back to your button that your making, create a new layer between your highlight and your background. Choose the Pattern Stamp Tool, change your pattern on the top toolbar to the one you just created and just paint in the current image. Use the select to trim what you don't want.

I suggest using paths to create your icon, then you can use your path to create a selection to trim your inside area. I used a path to create the outside area as well. Anyway, I'll post the tut sometime this weekend (its Friday night for me in the land down under).

#8 SkyDiver

SkyDiver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Thanks again! Yeah I knew how to make scanlines but they always looked kinda odd until I tried out 3x3 which worked better. Here is how my example turned out. It will serve as an Avatar for my DevianArt account. I didn't add a blue glow around the text since you wont see it with a size of 50x50.

@Scythar
You have a newborn? Congratulation!!

Attached Files

#9 MetalSkin

MetalSkin

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

Very nice. Saves me from having to post a step by step :) Yeah the 2x2 based diag scan lines i always reckon look a tad rough, the 3x3 to me seems to be better.

I like how you did the inner glow better. I think mine followed the original sample closer than yours but I think your effect looks a lot nicer than the original.

#10 SkyDiver

SkyDiver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

Actually I only used an outer glow but thanks. I'm glad that you like it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users