Photo

A warning to using free image hosting for tuts!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

Please note that effective immediately, I will be declining tutorials being hosted on free image hosts like image shack. These tutorials are accepted and then are dead within a week and I'm kind of sick of all the extra work it causes me cleaning up the dead link reports that result. If you can not host these images on your own host that won't kill the link after a few hundred views, please don't submit it. I'm also seriously considering cutting free hosts in general. They go down sometimes within days of having a tutorial approved.

I know this sucks for those of you that rely on free hosts, but this is just getting to be a waste of time for everyone involved. I'm all for free stuff, but it's just ruining the experience for everyone as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for your understanding,
Faken

#2 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

amen!

#3 ludwigw

ludwigw

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Designer at Lee ter Wal.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

But ImageShack keeps your images for 9 months since they are last viewed and then they are deleted. If you view them atleast once a month they'll stay forever................

#4 adam123

adam123

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Programming and stuff.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

I think he was talking more about the shitty amount of bandwidth you get. I mean, I seriously doubt they give you unlimited bandwidth for free.

#5 ludwigw

ludwigw

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Designer at Lee ter Wal.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

they do...................

#6 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

the lesson here, get decent hosting, infact, go serverseed lol

#7 FFX

FFX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:33 PM

im ok then

#8 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:36 PM

they do...................

There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth :P There's always a limit.

#9 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:45 PM

I think he was talking more about the shitty amount of bandwidth you get. I mean, I seriously doubt they give you unlimited bandwidth for free.

Sorry but that's not true... I see dead tutorials a week after I approve them. They're dead because the image links no longer work.

Faken

#10 jalweber

jalweber

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, work, snowmobiling<br>

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

And why would they go dead? the only reason would be because the admin doesnt keep up the site, personally i think this really bites, Faken... I mean, if an admin keeps up his site to that the images stay up, then where is the problem?

#11 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

And why would they go dead? the only reason would be because the admin doesnt keep up the site, personally i think this really bites, Faken... I mean, if an admin keeps up his site to that the images stay up, then where is the problem?

Because some people rely on crappy free image hosting, and with the amount of traffic P2L/TutorialSeek would send out their bandwidth quickly gets sucked up.

#12 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

It is because image shack is killing the images because within a few days the images are getting hit thousands of times. The the site owners don't fix it or just move them to another free host that kills them in a week or so.

Sorry, but if you care enough about your site and tutorials to go through the trouble of creating them and listing them, the least people can do is host them in a manner that is reliable so that the visitors of P2L and other such sites don't get hit with dead links right from the start page.

Actually, after looking around, I'm one of the only ones that accepts tutorials hosted on free domain providers AND/OR uses free image hosting. I wish I could do it, but I can't afford to hire fulltime folks to sit and sift through the hundreds of dead link reports I get every day.

Faken

#13 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

All the free image sites go dead, personally I hate them if members submit tuts like that I host them straight away 4-5000 hits in oneday kills them and some tuts take upto 2-3GB's bandwidth (speaking on my domain btw)

Good move ;)

hosting & domains names can be obtained extremely cheap now

I also went through all the tuts here, majority i removed were all hosted at image sites they were all dead.

#14 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

It may interest ppl that about 30% of the tutorials I don't accept under the Photoshop category are deleted because they already had broken images by the time I reviewed them.

Faken

#15 FFX

FFX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

im glad i started hosting my own images, but will it be only major image hosters or could it be like a friends ?

i use my own BTW

#16 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

im glad i started hosting my own images, but will it be only major image hosters or could it be like a friends ?

i use my own BTW

This applies to Image shack and other public image hosting companies that I notice cut off ppl too fast. You can host them on your buddy's host or wherever... just try and make sure that the images won't get cut off when you get a few thousands visitors in a week or two.

Faken

#17 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

So that explains a lot of the dead links under the tutorials. I hate when I think I found something great and then its only a dead link. I like to be able to learn more but when half of them I see are all dead links it kind of sucks. So this might be an improvement as far as this goes. Good call guys.

Regards,

Jason ;)

#18 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Did Jay forget to feed the monkey again? Is that why the links aren't getting caught? ;)

#19 Andy

Andy

Graphical Idol Judge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

^^ lol. Yea, i admit myself... its not often that i look at photoshop tutorials, but if im just browsing due to boredom, i regularly report 5-10 links in a matter of 15 minutes.

#20 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

i regularly report 5-10 links in a matter of 15 minutes.

I second that... It kind of sucks too.

But Im glad things are starting to get cleaned up.

Regards,

Jason ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users