9 replies to this topic

#1 bigguy624

bigguy624

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

When I render a decent looking render in CD4 v. 9.12, it either renders for 3 hours, getting only 25-50% done then locks up or it just crashes out of the program initially. I am useing these settings: res 1280x1024, targa, alpha channel. I am currently running with a 2 ghz AMD K7, 1.2 g DDR ram, and an ATI 9500 pro graphics card. Does anyone have a solution.
Thanks for the help
-Ryan

#2 z77

z77

Content Contributor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Art, Computers, Goldfish, Church, Pizza, Ice Cream, Frisbee, Paintball, PHP, C4D, Photoshop, Friends :)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

You may be innefficient in some of your settings, or you may be requiring too many resources. If your sure that you are using the most efficient methods when rendering, you probably need a faster computer. What are you rendering? What are your settings?

A little more information would be nice <_<

#3 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

That happens to me, 1 because I have a sucky graphic card, and 2 sometimes i wanna see if it can render at its best...Just make everything as low as possible, rez shouldnt matter, but leave everything default almost? thats what I usually do, it comes out okay sometimes, but you will wish you can get better results...and thats when you freeze your computer trying;)

#4 Dark element

Dark element

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Computers and girls what more fo you need?

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

happens to me if i have the size of the render at up past 800 x 600 and the render is hugh but other then that i dont have any problem....if you can dont add hypernurbs to something thats really big. all i could think of...

#5 bigguy624

bigguy624

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

Ok to answer some questions so that you can further help me out here.
1. I am mostly rendering "typical" (if you can even use that word with the word abstract...) abstracts like explosions or hyper nurbs etc.
2. I feel my computer is pretty fast, I mean look at the specs, sure they arnt the best but Id say better than most unless im wrong
3. My settings are all default but the resolution, 1280 x 1040, TARGA, and alpha. Thats it...

After some experamentation, I have found that the problem manifests when I use the reflection aspect of the material menue. If the reflection is turned off, the render is extremely fast. That said, I feel that just by useing reflection shouldnt make a diffrence of a 30 sec render and a never finishing render wouldnt you say?

Thanks for all of the help so far guys, if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

#6 z77

z77

Content Contributor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Art, Computers, Goldfish, Church, Pizza, Ice Cream, Frisbee, Paintball, PHP, C4D, Photoshop, Friends :)

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

Actually... reflection could easily be the problem now that you mention that it is an abstract. If your using HyperNURBS, and a high polygon count (you probably are because your using HyperNURBS on an abstract, and abstracts tend to have high polygon counts) C4D will have to calculate a ton of reflections on a NURB calculated object.

The Lesson: Use as little channels as possible on materials. If you must use channels that need extra calulation times, make sure your polygon count isnt already absurd :)

#7 bigguy624

bigguy624

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

how do I reduce the "channels?" Sorry I dont know what you are reffering to

#8 z77

z77

Content Contributor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

like, decrease the number of attributes your material has. If you try rendering it without reflections, you will notice it takes a lot less time because it doesnt have to calculate all of the reflections.

#9 digital47

digital47

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

try this... before you render an abstract. before you apply hypernurbs to it... go to objects>deformation>polygon reduction it'll drop about 10,000 polygons and still be cool.

#10 Subversive

Subversive

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:17 PM

it's not that bad... wait until you get to render something that makes you wait 2 hours of render preparation, and then pops out a "Not enough memory" message box...

okay, here are some tips:

.before using high-value hypernurbs subdivision, try to put a phong tag on the current object, and drop a value on hypernurbs. it'll be as smooth as with nurbs, in less time.

-Use as few channels on materials as you can... ok... it's been said already.

-explosions and hypernurbs... bad words... and then you talk about reflections... definitely not a good idea. use simple structures on explosions. your cpu has to calculate each and every pixel of the reflections of (maybe) thousands of objects.

-if you have something inside a hnurbs you want to multiply, dont duplicate the nurbs. make it editable, then remove the object from it, and delete the nurbs. only then you duplicate your object.

After seing this, try some. if it stays the same, taking ages to simply crash, try searching for a render farm on a search engine. maybe there are some free ones. dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users