How long is your computer running?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: How long do you keep your computer running? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Toggles

Toggles

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

I usually turn my off, it is just to crappy to leave on for long periods of time, if I did leave it on for 3 to 4 days and tried to open a program like photoshop it would take probably at least 5 mins. Damn my 256 RAM

#42 blinek

blinek

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

the only time my computer is really off, is when i have downloaded something and my computer asks for a restart. Other than that its not really turned off :D

#43 jonno

jonno

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:skating and pc stuff oh ye and music

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

i put mine off whenever i stop using it, it isnt really on for long either, only 3-4 hours a day

#44 Jeepinator

Jeepinator

The Jeepinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

I have an old piece of crap HP computer I got back around 3-4 years ago. I've turned it off every night... No problems with it ever (besides losing my harddrive 9 times. - my own fault) . I don't mind waiting the 56 seconds it takes to boot up or the 8 seconds it takes to shut down. My sister has one which she never turns off because she claims it won't start back up. But won't leaving your computer on for an extended amount of time cause the fans to burn out eventually?

A lot of fans now are brushless dual ball bearing fans. normal motors have small little "brushes" that touch a commutator(the brushes are more like little blacks of conductive material). The brushes transfer electricity to the commutator. One brush is positive teh other is negative. A comm. usually has 3 parts to it like peace sign. Brushes are on both sides of it. The polarity of the windings around the armature change very rapidly to the opposite of the magnet they are next to, propelling the armature around. eventually after several miillions of rotations the brushes are worn down and need to be replaced and the commutator also takes punishment. If they are not replaced and the comm is not lceaned then the motor will not perform well and will eventually stop working. A brushless on the otherhand has nothing that makes contact with another moving part. there is nothing to wearout except bearings. These motors are also very silent and make very high RPMs.

#45 codie

codie

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, graphic design, computer games, GIRLS, going to movies, mountain biking, music, playing guitar, eating, traveling around the world and taking phtographs, thats all i can think of for now.

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:13 AM

My computer at home i always turn off cause its right next to my bed (seriously) and it has a giant blue halo light around the power button so its hard to get to sleep with it on.

My mac at work howerver is never off, i only reboot it every once in a blue moon or software upgrades. but the best thing is its the power mac with quad proccesors 16 gig of ram and all the top of the line parts you can get for it. (thankfully i didnt hav to pay for it, work did) but i do find it gets qyt hot when doin video proccesing on the 30" HD screen (im sooooooooooooooo lucky) but it does it's jobs pretty fast. :D

#46 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:54 AM

I have an old piece of crap HP computer I got back around 3-4 years ago. I've turned it off every night... No problems with it ever (besides losing my harddrive 9 times. - my own fault) . I don't mind waiting the 56 seconds it takes to boot up or the 8 seconds it takes to shut down. My sister has one which she never turns off because she claims it won't start back up. But won't leaving your computer on for an extended amount of time cause the fans to burn out eventually?

A lot of fans now are brushless dual ball bearing fans. normal motors have small little "brushes" that touch a commutator(the brushes are more like little blacks of conductive material). The brushes transfer electricity to the commutator. One brush is positive teh other is negative. A comm. usually has 3 parts to it like peace sign. Brushes are on both sides of it. The polarity of the windings around the armature change very rapidly to the opposite of the magnet they are next to, propelling the armature around. eventually after several miillions of rotations the brushes are worn down and need to be replaced and the commutator also takes punishment. If they are not replaced and the comm is not lceaned then the motor will not perform well and will eventually stop working. A brushless on the otherhand has nothing that makes contact with another moving part. there is nothing to wearout except bearings. These motors are also very silent and make very high RPMs.

One of my fans usually go about 7000-7500 RPM. Do you think this one is brushless?

#47 Jeepinator

Jeepinator

The Jeepinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

Its possible, brushless motors are capable of higher RPMs but I dont think it would be necessary to go 30K RPM lol. Of course my brushed motor I use for RC cars goes 36K RPM but that is a big motor with VERY powerful magnets.

#48 jat543

jat543

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

Codie i want ur computer!!!!!!! how did u get around paying for that

#49 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:33 AM

he didnt, work did :)

edit : testing quick edit, just updated opera so it should work now

Edited by Avalanche, 24 December 2005 - 07:53 AM.

#50 Cerenza

Cerenza

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Designing and WoW. :)

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

I hardly turn it off. lol
Unless I really have to. Wich is rear...

#51 artcoder

artcoder

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Collecting videos at FunAndEducationalVideos.com

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:04 AM

You need another choice in the poll, such as "Turn off whenever not in use". Because that is what I do. I may reboot my computer 2 times a day on weekdays. And 2 to 3 times on weekends. I don't leave it on all the time because my laptop gets hot, heats up the table that it is sitting on, the fan comes on, and power supply get hot. Plus it runs better when it is freshly waken up.

#52 hughes11

hughes11

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

I normally turn my computer off before i goto bed... Some times if i'm downloading somthing or just forget, i leave it on all night..

#53 Dakota

Dakota

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Anything Web Related

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

I find that keeping my computer rebooted about twice a day or every 2 days keeps it running smooth and without many troubles that I experience while I have it running for say a week or 2 straight.

As for my monitor I turn that off no matter what when Im not using ever since my last one blew out on me cuz it was on to much. :wacko:

#54 Dakota

Dakota

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Anything Web Related

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:03 PM

So I turn off every device when going to bed, so I only need to worry about bats, but thats another story.

In your case and bats visiting in the middle of the night lol I would turn all power off too :tiphat:

TV's are known for blowing up, never heard of a PC doing that though.

Time to call in the Mythbusters! (They did something about CDs blowing up in cases and the damage they do once I think)

#55 D3nnis

D3nnis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

I turn the computer off when going to bed;P.. i have modem :wacko: thats why i never have the computer on every night :D

#56 Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

My parents tought me to turn it off everytime I don't need it. The thing is that I don't need it only at night time so I turn it off every evening.

#57 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

I turn it off every night now...especially after today.

Edited by l3lueMage, 15 January 2006 - 02:13 AM.

#58 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hey,

I turn my computer off around every 6 weeks. I don't think I should turn it off everynight because then my CPU temp is working around about the same which is good for my computer, I try to reboot once a week though to let everything refresh etc.

Also I defrag my computer every day to keep it organized and fast.

- Dan

#59 Rann

Rann

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Bowling,Fly Fishing, Pin hole Photography, Large Format Photography, 3d Modeling, watercolor,and illustration!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

I guess it depends on what kind of system you have! I have been a CGI Animator for Sony anime/manga productions for the past two years and before that with Sony Aniplex! I use a custom system! Flow system! Three panel - flow monitor for 180* view, each flat panel monitor 4/3 ratio! I know I run a split 4 chip- double motherbaord setup, with all the bells and whistles to run my 3d modeling software and cad all at the same time! So I guess it depends on how valuable are your files and projects on your computer system, which determine the running length your system runs before turning it off!

#60 Xanderdude

Xanderdude

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Radio controlled flying and Digital art,Web<br />And a little gaming if im bored

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

I only shut down my computer when a rabbit touches my toe nail. Ok likes never. Only when i go on vacation ect ^^.

Cya,
Xander

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users