10 replies to this topic

#1 iQonoclast

iQonoclast

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

I don't know how to explain the effects done. But I'm in :) with it and want to experiment with the technique. Can someone please enlighten me on how to do this?

Posted Image

Thanks.

#2 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:44 AM

Think this one should be in the help section for photoshop,
and do you mean the whole picture or just the letteringin the foreground.
I guess you mean the whole thing.

I'll try to make something similar and then, if i succeed, i'll tell you how i did it.

Most off the time its better to try and find an own variation, so ppl dont have the feeling you are a copy cat.

#3 iQonoclast

iQonoclast

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

I will take this to that section, but so you know... I'm new to Photoshop, but I definately like that technique. I've messed with all the filters and couldn't come close. At the end of the day, if it seems unoriginal, I can deal with it. But I really do want to know how to do that.

Thanks for the help.

#4 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:57 AM

k,
so i was wrong... ;)

I dont know exacly how they did it.

Try this for starters and hope other members can join me to help.

1. use the "despeckle" filter: this filter looks for assemblages of similarly colored pixels and averages their colors, clumping the pixels together into a larger grain.
2. Then use the "unsharp mask" filter with ridiculous high numbers: 500 / 50 / 50.
3. and/or posterize the image with the "cutout" filter (filter > artistic > cutout) --> this one gives smoother and cleaner edges then the posterize command.

Try these out and tell me what is still wrong, we will try to improve the process!!

#5 iQonoclast

iQonoclast

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

I think you're actually on the right path. I don't think the last step would do it though, I think the first two was essential though.

This is the same guy on the upper half, I just don't have the same exact image. But you can get the drift, and this is what came out of your mini tutorial there....

Posted Image

I'll post what I did that actually looked like I was getting it in a few minutes. I'm experimenting with one more technique.

Edited by iQonoclast, 08 December 2005 - 12:02 PM.

#6 iQonoclast

iQonoclast

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

Here's the best I've come up with and it's rather simple.

1) Duplicate image.
2) Use the top layer --- Go to Filter>Artistic>Film Grain and use the default settings
3) Use Overlay, merge

:D Yeah, I told you I was new. It's the best I could come up with, but this is the result....

Posted Image

--------

Just fiddled some more, and I think I'm really on the path. Did the same thing, just added the Threshold, Texturizer, and different Sharpen filters.

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Let me know if that's looking better and I'll tell everyone how I did it.

Edited by iQonoclast, 08 December 2005 - 01:00 PM.

#7 shawna

shawna

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Web Design,music,I'm a vocalist and wannabe guitarist. I'm a female of course if you haven't noticed by my name. I'm a vegetarian,and I like to help people out when I can.99% of the time,I'm partially wrong : ) so don't yell at me if I am kaythxbye

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

Hmm...maybe try this(it's very long sorry)

1. Open image at least 300dpi for the outline edge to look better
2.Option or alt(depending if you use mac or Win)+drag layer you wany to outline to the new layer icon to make a duplicate. Name it "color"
3. With the "color" layer active go to filter>Blur>Smart Blur
Quality- High,Mode- Normal,Radius- 67.1,Threshold-39.0 The goal is to smooth the inside of the shape while keeping crisp edges(adjust to your liking) click OK
4. Option or Alt+ drag "color" layer to the new layer button to duplicate. Name it "outline"
5.Image>Adjust>Channel Mixer
Monochrome,Red- 24,Green- 68,Blue-8,Contrast- 0
6. Filter>Stylize>Find Edges
7. Set "outline" layer mode to DARKEN
8. Create a new adjustment layer, Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Brightness/Contrast
Check "Group With Previous Layer" Click ok
9.Play around with the levels until you see something familar the click OK

If you wanted less black skip step 5 and set outline layer to Multiply

For bitmap quality outline, use the Smart Blur Filter instead or Find Edges in step 6 in Edge only mode, Then,Image>Adjust>Invert to the Outline layer and then do step 7 on.

I posted a very crappy one of myself, I choose a bad resolution so it's a bit choppy I didn't change my dpi because well,I'm to lazy to :)

here's how you would change that
Load your image into Adobe Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements).
Select the "Image > Image Size" menu option (may be "Image > Resize > Image Size" in Photoshop Elements).
In the image size dialog window, deselect the "Resample Image" checkbox (make sure there is no checkmark in that box).
In the "Resolution" box type in 300
Click OK
(don't change the pixel dimensions).
Save this photo with a new name so you can have your original back-up

I totally hope I didn't screw you up

Attached Files

• Attached File  me.jpg   98.07KB   26 downloads

#8 shawna

shawna

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Web Design,music,I'm a vocalist and wannabe guitarist. I'm a female of course if you haven't noticed by my name. I'm a vegetarian,and I like to help people out when I can.99% of the time,I'm partially wrong : ) so don't yell at me if I am kaythxbye

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

ok,I've fiddled around with it a little and found that it's more the sketch filters,duplicating layers,overlays,and,darkens. I'm not sure what combination will make the effect you're trying...but that's basicaly pointing you in that direction.

#9 iQonoclast

iQonoclast

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I started to fall in that area. I think threshold plays a part too. I WILL learn how to do this if it's the death of me. I've learned so many intricacies just trying to learn this. :angry:

#10 coolaid

coolaid

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:i wonder..

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

i dont know exactly but im sure it only consists of a FEW filters.

and some desaturation of color, thats for sure.

i'll try to come up with something easy.

#11 shawna

shawna

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:27 PM

maybe with posterization...I got close but I didn't use posterzation for some reason

http://martini-loung...p?p=52518#52518

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users