51 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

Professor June Entman warned her first-year law students by e-mail to bring pens and paper to take notes in class.

http://www.usatoday....htm?POE=TECISVA

We wern't even allowed to use a calculator when I went to school so I agree with her lol

Do you agree or disagree?

#2 syntex

syntex

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Photography, Music, My Band, Guitar and out of my mind experiences.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

Disagree, in uni its a bit to hard to manage heaps of papers.

#3 evansry

evansry

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:05 PM

I take notes on paper and just throw them into a 3 ring binder. I have never lost any notes or had trouble finding things for my classes.

However, I do not agree with banning of laptops. They are a tool, and should be allowed. If it helps people, good. That's no reason to ban them.

#4 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Disagree, I understand the reason why she doesn't want them in her class. Most of us can type way faster than we can write. If I had all my notes and stuff I have now on papers I probable would fill up a filing cabinet full of info. It's so much easier to keep it organized on my computer.

I remember I wasn't allowed to use a calculator in class until I was in high school.

Regards,

Jason :)

#5 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

You young ones are extremely spoiled in learning these days with computers, really you are.

#6 evansry

evansry

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

You young ones are extremely spoiled in learning these days with computers, really you are.

It bothers me when people say that. We have different tools. You were spoiled in your learning when you were in school also.

Every generation gets different tools to use.

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

It bothers me when people say that. We have different tools. You were spoiled in your learning when you were in school also.

Your quite wrong as we wern't spoiled at all our school had barely if any learning tools for the teachers and students, I only spent 7yrs if that in school I left to learn more on the outside. :) Every country is different, every school is different and everyone thinks different that's what makes us unique. :P

#8 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

i disagree, its their choice if they dont want to pay attention. Its their money they are wasting. Im writing isnt that great. And when i start to write fast it gets even more sloppy. And in college you have to keep up, and i can type way faster than writing and will be able to read it later when needed.

-Devyn

#9 evansry

evansry

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

Your quite wrong as we wern't spoiled at all our school had barely if any learning tools for the teachers and students, I only spent 7yrs if that in school I left to learn more on the outside. :) Every country is different, every school is different and everyone thinks different that's what makes us unique. :P

So you disagree that you had an advantage over the people before you?

#10 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

I dugg this and personally thought it was extremely ridiculous, only a few weeks ago I read an article on a university that REQUIRED laptops.... I pretty much agree with Jason - I type WAY faster than I write.

-austen

#11 syntex

syntex

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Photography, Music, My Band, Guitar and out of my mind experiences.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:02 AM

I just take it like this, id rather carry a lil bag with the laptop instead of heaps of binders and books

#12 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

We're not allowed laptops either but I disagree with it.

#13 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:26 AM

I disagree, I never take notes I just have one of my friends with a laptop that types the notes to email them to me. I dont see the big deal, the only thing really is when people play games during class...like 2 of my friends they both played Call of duty online together during class, teacher didnt care though as long as they knew the stuff :P

#14 MK_LAGI

MK_LAGI

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:p2l :D

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:32 AM

I think they should be allowed to use a laptop or a pen & paper. It depends what they are studying really, if law in the above case then I disagree, they should be allowed to use laptops, but if studying something based on mathematics then surely they need pen & paper.

#15 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:10 AM

depends on what kind of student you are... computer students generally type up notes, but NEVER read them again... a sociology student might write 5 a4 pads of paper worth and read them everytime they come to do an assignment...

it really depends on how you personally use notes... I personally, never use them inside class or for class

#16 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

Agree, I think that most people are too spoiled due to the IT-wave.

But like Jay said, if you are learning Computer Technology than it's a must to have a laptop ready to work.

#17 ktd

ktd

* Something Ain't Right *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

100% agree with you Donna. We had to do it by pen and paper. Sure it toke longer but it got the job done. There's so much out there now that students take for granted. Donna, would you belive that they have student ID cards now?

#18 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

Well, If all goes well, im going to multimedia college next year, which requires me to buy a laptop, as you simply cant learn proper multimedia skills with only a pen and paper, dont you agree? :huh:

But yeah, if you study biology or whatever, i see no point in having a laptop.

Edited by Avalanche, 24 March 2006 - 11:25 AM.

#19 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I Disagree. Why make it harder on yourself when u can make it more convenient. Sure you guys had to do it the hard way on paper, but is that our fault?

#20 Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Disagree. Use technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users