Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Design a layout competition, awesome prizes!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:49 AM

Summary

This competition is set up for talented graphic designers that lack experience in the webdesign field. You'll be guided in designing the perfect layout for a real-life, non-profit client! Prizes include a job offer by 3 participating companies, a flash template and the slicing of your layouts.

-----------------------------

Hello all!

On behalf of three companies I'm happy to announce the following competition. The participating companies are Gelderblom Webdesign, Spiritz, and a new company that will launch at the end of September.

As we are currently working on a new system (that will rock your socks off), we might come in a position where we need extra designers for the layouts of our clients websites and our new system. This new system thing sounds a bit vague, but I will elaborate on that as soon as the demo launches. What matters most is that we will need layouts, LOTS of layouts!

Instead of outsourcing to already established companies and freelancers, we decided to give the young community of 13dots and Pixel2life a shot at this future job.

How we will make the first selection

This competition will have benefits for all parties. Participants will work, together with the client and the professionals of Gelderblom Webdesign and Spiritz on a huge project. This project is done on a pro deo basis. It will be the redesign of www.fortunahome.com, this is a fansite with no commercial purposes, no money is generated by it. You as a participant will get a chance to experience the designing process, from the initial contact with the client until the final approval of the layout.

This will give you an experience in what it takes to design a layout for a big internetsite. FortunaHome currently has over 1000 photo's, around 1500 visitors a day, and is the no.1 visited soccersite in the respective league. The new layout will be optimized for the connection to a Content Management System.

You will only have to design a layout, coding knowledge is not required!

Is it ok if I enter?

Yes it is! This competition is open for everyone, whether you're staff, a member or a guest of this forum!

How to apply for this competition

We will guide every participant in depth, together we will decide on the elements to incorporate, which eventually results in a layout. As this will be very time-consuming, we will have a maximum of 10 contestants.

You can apply for this first selection by replying to this topic, sending a PM, or emailing to competition AT spiritz.nl. Please copy the following lines and fill in the fields:

Name:
Email:
MSN:
Examples of graphical work:
Examples of websites:

Motivation:

We want links, no big attachments please B)

We will select 10 contestants from the applications at 13dots and Pixel2Life and announce them on both sites.

How we select the ultimate winner

We will judge contestants on the following criteria:

- communication skills
- creative talent
- software skills (mainly Photoshop, additional software is a plus)
- final layout

Final winner will be announced on both 13dots and Pixel2life. Mid-term announcements will be made public on 13dots.

Deadlines

The deadline for applying to this competition is September 7th.

There is NO deadline for finishing the layout since we're collaborating on this.

Prizes

All contestants have a shot at earning a job in the form of designing a layout or multiple layouts in the future for one of the 3 companies. If you proved to be an addition to our team, you're in!

The main purpose of this competition is finding talent and experience their qualities/teamwork in a real life situation. Call it an an internship :P

The winner gets a banner on the front page of www.fortunahome.com for as long as the layout is online (we're talking about at least 2-3 years here)

2 Runner-ups can choose between the Spiritz v2 layout or the professional slicing of their website layout.

Most importantly, all contestants win EXPERIENCE and a lot of fun! :D

If you have any questions, please post them. If not, just apply and see where it takes you. Dont forget to tell all your relatives ;)

Have fun!

Rick Gruijters

admin 13Dots
owner Spiritz

Questions & Answers

Q: In examples of artwork, should I post a link for my portfolio?

A: Yes, if you have a portfolio please send us your link. If you don't have a portfolio, include links to pieces of work you've made

Q: Websites examples are the fortunahome layout, right?

A: The FortunaHome layout is what we're going to replace with a sparkling new one! That happens as soon as we decided on the 10 contestants that make it into the competition, September 7th.

Q: Do I need to show some work?

A: Please copy the code in the first post and either reply, PM or send me an email having this filled in. It's important to show us your previous work as we will have to make a first selection.

Q: If we are selected to design layouts for one of these 3 companies later on, will it be a job for pay?

A: All contestants have a chance to be contacted in the near future for design work, for this they will get paid yes :P

Edited by RedDragon, 19 August 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

Good luck with this Rick, since it's also involving Pixel2Life I have pinned it.

#3 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

The first applications are drippling in :P However, I feel there's much more talent at P2L! So come on people, take this chance to earn yourself a contract at a webdesign company!!

Email, pm or reply to this topic copying the code in post1 and filling in the details.

Questions? Post them here :P

Edited the first post: this competition is open for EVERYONE, staff included :)

Edited by RedDragon, 17 August 2006 - 01:42 AM.

#4 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:49 AM

Wish this had happened earlier in the summer, would love to participate, just dont have the time to devote to it.

Good luck to those who do enter :P

- Griffin

#5 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:39 AM

You can always leave a portfolio, who knows.. :love:

We're accepting applications until September 7. I'd like to finish the layout around November, so we really have plenty of time!

#6 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

I'm going to enter
In exemples of artwork, should I post a link for my portfolio?
And websites exemples are the fortunahome layout, right?

already working on it :ph34r:

#7 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi Myoto,

You should show us links to your own graphical work.

The FortunaHome layout is what we're going to replace with a sparkling new one! That happens as soon as we decided on the 10 contestants that make it into the competition, September 7th.

:ph34r:

#8 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

I may enter this contest. It sounds like a whole lot of fun ;D.

Also, same question as Myoto, do I need to show some work?

#9 z77

z77

Content Contributor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Art, Computers, Goldfish, Church, Pizza, Ice Cream, Frisbee, Paintball, PHP, C4D, Photoshop, Friends :)

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

I do not quite understand some of the opportunities listed here. If we are selected to design layouts for one of these 3 companies later on, will it be a job for pay?

#10 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:41 AM

Hi Darkstone,

Please copy the code in the first post and either reply, PM or send me an email having this filled in. It's important to show us your previous work as we will have to make a first selection.

Hi z77,

All contestants have a chance to be contacted in the near future for design work, for this they will get paid :D

---

I'll make a 'Faken-style' Q&A list in my first topic to keep things structured :P

Edited by RedDragon, 19 August 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#11 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:51 AM

red, I post here my works and websites and if you chose me I make the layout or I post the layout here with my name, age, etc and then you pick me? or both?

#12 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:35 AM

Every participant sends me their current portfolio, together with other info you can find in the code field in my first post.

This portfolio is not a matter of gathering as much work as possible. I'd rather see 5-10 quality projects than 500 sigs or logo creations :P

If you want to make a FortunaHome layout yourself, be my guest :D . Be aware that you have no info what elements I want to see in the site, nor can you finish a layout like this in 2 days. It's an ongoing project with continuous communication between a client, so you're missing that when working on your own.

#13 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

Name: Matheus Stortz Oliveira
Email: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
Examples of graphical work: http://studiostortz..../portfolio.html
Examples of websites: http://controlve.awardspace.com/ , http://tricolordepoa.awardspace.com/ (going to v2)

Motivation: I wan't to get experience now, becouse when I finish college, I wanna work with big stuff, I would hate to work in mediocrity. You can call me ambicious, but I know that nothing will come out of nothing, I must climb the stairway first. And this is a great chance .

#14 terocker

terocker

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Name: Lew Terence Thaddeus
Email: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
Examples of graphical work: as specificed in my hard copy (countless!)
Examples of websites: http://www.smu.edu.sg, http://www.beachtiara.com and also countless!
Examples of coding: (Extra helpful for those who want to know coding more), I am there!

Motivation: I am hearing impaired creative designer/programmer who likes to help people to learn sign language ;) I signed up as here is a lifelong learning process and I would like to turn my clock back to sign up earlier! Therefore my first reply! :P. Joining compeition is just purely for my lesiure and share tips with others. Of course Love to help people anything! If i am selected, I will be more than happy to share more ideas as I guess I am only a deaf guy in forum here ;) I just treat it like my own Project Runaway for those fans! :o

Love you all!

http://i45.photobuck...er/websites.jpg

#15 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:05 AM

Sweet as, man!! All my graphical website work has been done in Fireworks... should be interesting to see if my stuff actually is worth it or not.

I will post/pm/email my application tomorrow. :)

Thanks, once again.

#16 Al3x

Al3x

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

E-mail sent, hope I get chosen.

#17 Loadboy

Loadboy

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

I design in Paint Shop Pro, if this is acceptable I'd like to try out. Pm sent.

#18 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Your works puts PS users to shame lol, paintshop pro can do just the same thing if not better.

Congrats too on getting Tutorial Site of the Week Winner :P

#19 Al3x

Al3x

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

If I'm not mistaken he never said you needed to give the source files to any of the templates you make so I think it would be a problem. By the way, love the site.

#20 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for your applications ;)

It's no problem whether you're a PS or PSP user, as long as you're talented I'm happy :D

And no need to send me source files of your portfolio :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users