• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

Well the logo has been released today for the London 2012 olympics (image from BBC)

Posted Image

I would have to say its the worst logo I have ever seen.....

The 5 'blocks' represent the 5 continents of the world, and it makes up 2012.

They tried to make it appeal to the younger generation and make it inspire people.....

Opinions?

#2 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

I thought that was a rough sketch of Australia that I could make out where the rings are.

But wow... not a cool logo - and definitely doesn't really appeal to me at all. I mean, the idea and concepts are there, and they are awesome!!! But when it comes to the appearance and how it was going to look... yeah, they kinda failed there

Hmmm...

Edited by Bug, 04 June 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#3 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

I'm definitely not impressed...I could develop a logo that good...which means it must be bad.

#4 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

well at least you have more color choices than just pink

http://main.london20...06-04-12-06.htm

I can easily see the 2012 but the pink looks tacky, don't recall seeing any of the Olympic logo's looking crash hot anyways so get used to it lol

#5 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

What happened??? Compare that pink block to the 2012 candidate logo...

On the bright side, theres 4 years to try and make them change it! Although...4 years from now, the funky jagged block shapes and bright neon colours from the 80s/early 90s might be back in style...

Attached Files

#6 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

As proud as I am usually to say I'm English...that is the single worst logo I have ever seen for such an event. The 12 just looks like an R, and even so, the whole idea is tacky.

I hope it is changed.

#7 Propax

Propax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Football, Manchester United FC, Seeing the World, Music and tons more other stuff.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hmm, I must say I am disappointed by that awful logo, I mean what creative genius designed that? The candidate city logo was much nicer, I would have stuck with that theme and introduced the concepts. I know it's modern times and all but something more traditional would be nice, maybe something more British despite it being a global event.

#8 Case

Case

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

On the bright side ... no-one else is going to have a logo nearly that bad so its unique :rolleyes:

#9 chris-grieve

chris-grieve

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

that logo cost them £400,000 what a waste of money.

just looks like lisa simpson doing something rude lol.

#10 Propax

Propax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Football, Manchester United FC, Seeing the World, Music and tons more other stuff.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

LOL! O yeah, I also thought about it being more British, maybe the London eye could be involved or BB, if people then were to say "But it needs to appeal to a global and multi-cultural audience" you could simply show them the Sydney Olympics logo of 2000, You can't tell me that's not the Sydney Opera House :rolleyes:.

#11 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND WHATTTTTTTTTT??????????? Just heard on the radio what it cost, when i read it from chris-greive, i thought it was a joke...

What the hell. I wouldn't of paid > $20 for that.

I am actually aggravated by this...

#12 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

Looks like a failed attempt at making something inspired by fat Japanese graffiti / kanji typography you usually associate with magazines, arcades and squeaky small plastic toys who have names you will never learn to pronounce. But really, i haven't seen many Olympic games logos that have looked good, the Athens OG mascot where also just horrible. It always have to have some cute we are the world and united happy happy, meaning behind it. After all sport is peace full warfare and a war to measure strength, make something cool instead if you want to have more viewers.

Edited by Dance, 04 June 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#13 Propax

Propax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

I think we should all have a bash a creating something better and see what we come up with between us, then present it to the Olympic games minister and hey presto £400.000 in the P2L kitty :rolleyes:.

#14 xXx-Treme

xXx-Treme

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photoshop, Parkour, Buildering, Rock Climbing, Adrenaline, Extreme sports, Extreme lifestyle

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

:rolleyes: like WTF, c'moon £400 000 for what? For this? I don't consider myself even close to have little tallent in graphical desigins, but even i would hava managed to do better than THIS :angrylooking: Well but quess that there was an opened competition for design of the logo, how did the other versions looked like, if this was the best....

Only positive thing about it, as Case said:

On the bright side ... no-one else is going to have a logo nearly that bad so its unique :huh:

Well yeah, the idea of it is good, but outcome sucks hard.... Only hope that they will find their reason and change teh logo... I seriously hope.... :)

#15 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Like most projects, the look was dictated by the "higher-ups" rather than those who can actually design something. An agency was probably hired for 400,000 gave some nice example logos that just got chewed up by the executives. So they end up with a design that a 4 year old could make costing them more than your average 10 people make in a year.

I'd like to find out if the company who made the logo is taking responsibility for it...

FYI - the candidate logo won a prize of 10,000.

#16 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

http://www.wolff-olins.com/ designed it, they were chosen through a competitive tendering process including a number of the UK's leading brand and design agencies. They were asked to refine the brand positioning for the London 2012 Games and develop a Games emblem and associated corporate identity.

I sure hope they use their winnings to get someone to design a better website :rolleyes:

International Olympic Committee chose the winning design.

I wonder who will be the first to submit a tutorial how to make one lol

Send in your own design: http://www.london201.../joinin/create/

Posted Image
http://www.london201...-cyan-right.png) 0 4px no-repeat">
Visit london2012.com and make your own 2012 design

#17 Propax

Propax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

LOL! That site is lame :rolleyes:, I will be entering that contest though.

#18 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

I thought it was going to be in China this time thats why they are making a lot of signs in english o-o;

#19 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

For any that were wondering, that £400,000 - London Tax Payer money. :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew., 04 June 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#20 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

I thought it was going to be in China this time thats why they are making a lot of signs in english o-o;

2008 not 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users