#1 Bravi

Bravi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

Hi everyone..

I've been a member of Pixel2life for several years already and I remember, about 2 - 3 years ago, "General Artwork Gallery" was one of the most active threads on here. People kept posting stuff almost every hour or so (well at least comments to others).

But now it seems to be so quite. And plus, where did those SOTWs go?? :)

What's going on? Are people lazy to design these days?

#2 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

Yeah it's definitely been quiet lately, people are leaving us :) We're going to have to start working harder to get people back on the forums and having some fun with us!

#3 Bravi

Bravi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

I wonder what is the reason for this..

maybe everyone went to deviantART instead? :/

#4 damir_zg

damir_zg

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

i dont think deviantart took over the users, deviantart was here long before p2l

its just that social sites like facebook and twitter have took over the people willing to post/discuss

i think p2l should really connect with facebook and twitter and just totally give up on the forums or heavily reduce the topics, people these days dont want to upload art to forums for people to comment they want to put it on facebook and share it on twitter so that their friends can see it and if p2l enables them for more views (views from the p2l community) on their art that will make them happy and they will come back for more

tutorials are still very wanted and tutorial sites will always be popular, p2l should rely on their tutorial collection to attract the visitors and should try to keep them with great integration with the current leaders (facebook, twitter)

anyway a change is needed.

#5 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

I think p2l should really connect with facebook and twitter and just totally give up on the forums or heavily reduce the topics, people these days dont want to upload art to forums for people to comment they want to put it on facebook and share it on twitter so that their friends can see it and if p2l enables them for more views (views from the p2l community) on their art that will make them happy and they will come back for more

Personally I hate posting my work on Facebook. Most my friends aren't in the field and wouldn't be able to give me good criticism on my work. Sites like these are needs for people to get good, professional advise.

I suggest we should become a bit more critical, but in a good way, to help improve peoples work and have more people join up to have professional feedback. When I reply on a picture posted in the General Art Gallery, I try and always give some feedback and a suggestion for improvement. It's not to be negative but to help that person grow. One reason why I don't post much of my work here is because I done get good feedback. I get people saying "Oh that's really nice!" or "Great work!" but that's it. Some of the time the work is crap and I still see a reply like that. It's hard to take people serious when they can't even criticize my work well. If you say to some one that there work is great then you should point out also why it's great. What, to you, makes it so great. That's what I want to hear and if something doesn't fit or look right then say it. Negative criticism is good if it's to help improve someone's abilities, as long as it's professional criticism and not just "This is crap!"

Anyways, I kind of went on a small rant there. I would love to hear other peoples feedback on this subject. I want to make this place more professional and a place to come and learn and improve ourselves. Not a place where I get the same feedback from my mother.

#6 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

I agree... I always try to point out something that could use work if I really do see something that stands out and if the person is openly asking for critique. No sense having your ass kissed if the work isn't really that spectacular because your clients won't be so kind. So yeah, I try to at least point out something positive and something that could use work... the trick is to simply be constructive in your comments rather than derogatory.

Dan

#7 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

So yeah, I try to at least point out something positive and something that could use work... the trick is to simply be constructive in your comments rather than derogatory.

I fully agree, even if it might sound a little harsh to some at first, people that aren't used to it, in the long run a good constructive criticism will be a better learning tool then people only giving you praise. But if they have nothing but good things to say then give in detail what makes it so great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users