Photo

Have the creative juices expired? Bad Tutorials!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

Just a heads up to everyone that is submitting tuts that we are no longer accepting tutorials that are "Blending" or "Abstract/Grunge Sig". We get about 100 of these a day, if not more, and they are the exact same thing with different foreground images. I am now declining them unless they are somehow unqiue. I am also now deleting tutorials submitted with 2 word description like "Grunge Blast" and Photoshop tutorials without thumbs will also be canned on the spot.

Come on guys... if you're going to take the time to make a tutorial and submit it for traffic from us, take the time to describe it properly and include an avatar if applicable.

We are also no longer accepting PHP tutorials for includes, or the other common tuts that are submitted to us and there are already 20 - 50 copies of it in the DB. Get creative folks... make some tutorials, don't rehash basic concepts that have been done to death and submit them for traffic.

Faken

#2 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

can people try to write more than 5 lines on the tutorials too? tutorials are meant to teach people things, not make them dumber

#3 Kif

Kif

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:52 PM

This one's fine? Simple Navigation Tutorial :unsure:

Lizard

#4 -Azrael-

-Azrael-

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:30 PM

AHHH! I hate that (Not you Lizard), when people submit a tutorial and once you do it, the outcome isn't anything like the one they show you. Drives me crazy!!!!11 (Whoa went noobish :unsure:)

#5 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

Yea no kidden... Or they give you such little stuff to go with, and you are still tring to learn how to get to that point and you have no clue what or how to do it.

And Lizard, that helped me out for the buttons on a friends site. I changed somethings with it to get what I was looking for but it worked great. Thanks man.

#6 DevastatingDesigns

DevastatingDesigns

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:49 AM

Hey I made some lightning brushes because I had never seen any, anywhere and I wrote a short tutorial on them. I mean, you download the brushes and use them, how hard is that? I hope the tutorial I made gets listed because I have hardly ever seen many lightning tutorials and on my site I got about 2,000 requests for them. The brushes I made only work for photoshop 7.0 and you can get them

HERE

The Photoshop CS brushes should be up wednesday afternoon

Thanks,
Joe

Ps. Let me know what you think of them!

[email protected]

#7 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:18 AM

http://www.pixel2lif...Query=lightning
24 results for "lightning" in photoshop

http://www.pixel2lif...chQuery=brushes
over 30 results for brushes...

1. that tutorial is basically installing a brush, thats pre-made
2. your site completly messes up in firefox, fix it!
3. i highly doubt you got 2000 requests for "that" tutorial

and i just rejected that tutorial... please in future can you think about the titles of your tutorials, the content of them, and put a little more depth into future efforts...

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:16 AM

Like Jay said... there's a full page of lightning tutorials on P2L and I decline at least one every couple of days. Despite the fact that I never use Photoshop, I think I know this tutorial by heart. :)

Faken

#9 DevastatingDesigns

DevastatingDesigns

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:52 PM

i feel like its the firefox's programmers problem, not mine. I did the css the way it should be in ie so it should work in firefox!

#10 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

i feel like its the firefox's programmers problem, not mine. I did the css the way it should be in ie so it should work in firefox!

lol if only that where true

but until then i wont be returning to your site, and about 14% of net using firefox won't either

#11 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:20 PM

lol if only that where true

but until then i wont be returning to your site, and about 14% of net using firefox won't either

The percentange of people using firefox in the webmaster community is quite high because many web developers use it to test their creations to make sure they're cross-compatible and then get hooked (that's my story)... others use it because of its security... others use it cause its there... but if you're not catering to everyone, you're guaranteed to lose visitors.

It doesn't work for me in firefox either, and I will not be revisiting because of that. If everyone who uses firefox thinks like that,.like Jay said you're losing 14% of the market. 14% more people if you were to correct the problem, I think its worth it.

#12 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:16 PM

most people who use firefox won't bother to open IE for a website if it doesn't work, you just carry on, as very few are stupid to think its a small thing

#13 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

Wow.. I never have used firefox until today. So I downloaded it to see. Wow I noticed a few things I need to fix even on my site. I got to understand how to first. ;)

But I did get a chance to visit your site DevastatingDesigns, and wow they arent kidding. Your site doesnt open right. I first viewed it in IE and now after installing Fire Fox.. I see what they are talking about.

Faken and Jay have a point. If you want all kinds of people to visit your site you need to make it completely compatiable for all viewers, other wise you could be loosing a lot of traffic to your site and not even know it. Just a thought, but I would truely look into fixing some of the problems. And IE does take coding that might not be right and make the best guess of what it might think it should look like and it puts it together like that. And as I can see now, FireFox reads it like you coded it.

It would be something to think about fixing, cause I sure have a few minor things to fix with mine. Not a big deal but I never intended for certain things on my site to be view as they are in FireFox.

Regards,

Jason

#14 coder

coder

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:22 AM

To be honest. PPL are right, i am a webdesigner and i used it to test my site
and now its drilled to my head, i think id be lost without it

#15 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

I've even noticed things that work great in firefox but break in IE... so I use it all to test. Occasionally I'll use MSN Explorer and things like that as well, and I test from school at low resolutions just to make sure.

#16 DevastatingDesigns

DevastatingDesigns

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:36 PM

yea, i've seen my site in firefox and it does suck. i'll admit that. if i knew how to fix it i would. maybe i'm not looking in the right places or something. i would love to be pointed in the right direction.

thanks

#17 PoisonTech

PoisonTech

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:11 PM

it could be possible that you are using percentages in your table widths and not pixels, try using width="899" instead of something like width="100%"!

#18 Supreme Hobo

Supreme Hobo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:15 PM

am i the only one here who didnt have a problem viewing this site in firefox? maybe its because im running at 1280 x 1024 resolution (72dpi)

#19 edskii

edskii

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

And while your at it, you could delete loads of the tutorials that dont actually work (broken links etc). Lots of them dont work in the HTML section.

Dont get me wrong or anything, i love P2L.

n1

#20 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

And while your at it, you could delete loads of the tutorials that dont actually work (broken links etc). Lots of them dont work in the HTML section.

Dont get me wrong or anything, i love P2L.

n1

There's a link to report broken links you know :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users