Photo

Have the creative juices expired? Bad Tutorials!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Spooky

Spooky

Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Programming, Client Management, Web Hosting, Tutorial Writing

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:10 PM

i feel like its the firefox's programmers problem, not mine. I did the css the way it should be in ie so it should work in firefox!

First off, dont ever put down the firefox programmers. They are providing a wonderful browser that requires less CSS coding to work properly in than IE does. If you learn to code to standards for firefox, then you should simply have it working in internet explorer... I love firefox, I am their gaurdian.

Alllllsoooooo, yes while searching the tutorials sometimes to find some info I find a few that seem duplicated and are to no help, it gets awfullly bothersome.

#22 ludwigw

ludwigw

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Designer at Lee ter Wal.

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

Technically if you coded the CSS perfectly (the way it should be) then it would work in FF :)

#23 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:21 PM

Technically if you coded the CSS perfectly (the way it should be) then it would work in FF ;)

If you code to standards it'll work in most browsers ;)

Edit: Better Donna? :)

Edited by Jaymz, 27 March 2005 - 04:23 PM.

#24 Spooky

Spooky

Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Programming, Client Management, Web Hosting, Tutorial Writing

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Technically if you coded the CSS perfectly (the way it should be) then it would work in FF ;)

If you code to standards it'll work in most browsers ;)

Edit: Better Donna? :)

If you code to standards it works great in FF and Safari, then I think it messes up a little for Omniweb and IE

#25 vidoman

vidoman

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:57 PM

1. that tutorial is basically installing a brush, thats pre-made

This is a newbie's point of view on this type of tutorial...
I recently purchased PSP 9. and have been actively seeking tutorials on how to best use this program. What I have found is there are tons of PSP tutorials, and most of them start out with something to the effect of: "You'll need this plug-in, and this plug-in and also you will need to download my selections, or my tubes, or my brushes..."

Why not just put "copy and paste my image"..?
No offense intended except that I'm not learning a thing from just putting a selection here, and filling it with or painting it with something already made...

I agree that a tutorial should be teaching on how to create something, not just copy..

Sorry for this little rant, but noticed this thread on tutorials and thought that I would add some insight from someone who is looking to learn...

Regards...

#26 Spooky

Spooky

Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:02 AM

Did you in any way read the post he was replying to? He said it was a tutorial on Lightning Effects not how to install brushes. If it was a tutorial based on installing brushes, maybe Jay would have a different point of view...

But just maybe, maybe you should read the posts that people are replying to and understand them first, also calling a staff member a "newbie" who is highly educated with web design is not something I would be doing.

#27 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

I recently purchased PSP 9. and have been actively seeking tutorials on how to best use this program. What I have found is there are tons of PSP tutorials, and most of them start out with something to the effect of: "You'll need this plug-in, and this plug-in and also you will need to download my selections, or my tubes, or my brushes..."

No offense intended except that I'm not learning a thing from just putting a selection here, and filling it with or painting it with something already made...

I agree that a tutorial should be teaching on how to create something, not just copy..

Sorry for this little rant, but noticed this thread on tutorials and thought that I would add some insight from someone who is looking to learn...

Regards...

Just some friendly advice: I wouldn't mess with Jay B) While I respect your opinion I do not agree. I think that this bickering is pointless and we should continue on topic in a polite, meaningful manner :P

#28 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

Regards...

Hi Vidoman

welcome to P2L

I promised you some PSP Tuts and I will do more just been doing 10,000 things at once there needs to be more I agree and lots for newbies to the program as there is nothing around for psp9

To learn to use any program well its best to start from basics

And yep same Donna lol

And Psssssst Jay is an Admin here, highly talented ;)

#29 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:23 AM

Did you in any way read the post he was replying to? He said it was a tutorial on Lightning Effects not how to install brushes. If it was a tutorial based on installing brushes, maybe Jay would have a different point of view...

But just maybe, maybe you should read the posts that people are replying to and understand them first, also calling a staff member a "newbie" who is highly educated with web design is not something I would be doing.
to himself... as in from a newbies point of view.

Faken

I don't think he was calling Jay a newbie... I think he was referring to himself... as in from a newbies point of view.

Faken

#30 vidoman

vidoman

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:02 AM

:P (Jay smakin Ron) :)

I appologize I didn't mean this towards Jay, no way, would I question his talent and expertise. Faken is correct, I'm the newbie in that statement...

In reading this forum, that bit of a quote, was an example of what I'm finding on the web, not P2L forum, when looking at tutorials.
I was just voicing a concern of mine, when I'm wanting to learn something to be original and creative, rather then copy something.

Again my sincere apology, not intended for a slam toward Jay or P2L...

Ron

#31 Spooky

Spooky

Rooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

I apologize then Ron, I thought that it was directed at Jay. Lets all get back on topic now :P!

#32 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

*walks in*

*sees his name alot*

*thinks he broke something*

*walks out*

#33 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

to get back on topic...definitly a good idea (gearing up for v2 maybe? :P) how bout gettin rid of/denying every c4d tutorial that has to do with "spiky abstract balls!" and "Unique abstracts!!!" cuz thats basically all ther are, and more wont help...

#34 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:41 PM

to get back on topic...definitly a good idea (gearing up for v2 maybe? ;)) how bout gettin rid of/denying every c4d tutorial that has to do with "spiky abstract balls!" and "Unique abstracts!!!" cuz thats basically all ther are, and more wont help...

I'm starting to think that's all you can do in c4d :P

Faken

#35 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

lol, i think z77 from greycobra has a c4d tutorial site being setup atm, ask him :D

#36 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:40 PM

heres a sorta new one: http://www.c4dcafe.com/ that seems good

#37 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

i only have 1 thing to say. the only people who use firefox are webdesigners. so if ur makeing a site thats not geared at web designers then dont make it for firefox. more people use ie then anything else. so design with that in mind.

#38 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

i only have 1 thing to say. the only people who use firefox are webdesigners. so if ur makeing a site thats not geared at web designers then dont make it for firefox. more people use ie then anything else. so design with that in mind.

I know lots that use FF and wouldn't have the first clue on web design so we can't just say only web designers use it. Where are you getting this info from?

#39 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

I know of many people, organizations, businesses and educational institutions who use Firefox on their systems, none of which are web designers. Just people who like it. Saying this is like saying "all [insert group here] are [insert sterotype here]" and that's that. Such stereotyping leads to biased opinions, and desiging for only IE leaves 40% (that's off the top of my head don't quote me) of people looking at a broken site. Firefox is slowly overtaking IE.

All that being said, the best way to go is to make your site compatible with as many browsers as possible. Don't depend on the user to use the right software to make it look right, use the correct coding to make it look right for them. They're the visitor, the guest, so they're not going to want to do work to make it function properly, they're going to go somewhere else. Thus, lost traffic.

#40 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

82.5% of the statistics posted on the internet are made up on the spot.

Faken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users