Photo

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your... Mouse? Opinions and Suggestions Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

Btw Av - I just checked out the DA thing (saw it long ago) and that category navigation is EXTREMELY annoying after about 5 seconds. It works on an Ipod I guess, but ugh... Looks very cool at first glance though, but flicking through it is tedious.

Dan

#82 danbradster

danbradster

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

I don't find the top navigation useful, to me it's a waste of space. I'm not sure about other people's opinions on the top navigation but I think it could just as easily be placed in the left column which would save space/scrolling.

#83 Viz

Viz

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:40 AM

I don't know how much work this would take but on the main page near where it says top 30 viewed tutorials, you guys should add one for a month at a time. Like:

-top 30 tutorials this month

See the overall one hardly changes, compared to a monthly one that would be fresh.

Thats about it, havent read the previous posts so if this has already been said, sorry.

Edited by Viz, 26 May 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#84 fmxer

fmxer

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

* Main page shows recent tutorials from categories the user specifies.
* RSS feeds for categories.
* Fix those fricken ugly Times New Roman links on the main page, horrible. :D

#85 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:07 AM

* Fix those fricken ugly Times New Roman links on the main page, horrible. :)

??? Looks all Arial to me?!

Dan

#86 ascen9

ascen9

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

The way the forums are run. There seems to be some inherent fear of free speech and good conversation. See the "Generating Website Income" forum for my perfect example. Not allowed to discuss earnings? Bull shit. It happens on Sitepoint every day.

#87 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:50 AM

The way the forums are run. There seems to be some inherent fear of free speech and good conversation. See the "Generating Website Income" forum for my perfect example. Not allowed to discuss earnings? Bull shit. It happens on Sitepoint every day.

Actually, Google Adsense only recently allowed the discussing of specific earnings hence why it's only recently been discussed openly at sitepoint (I've been a sitepoint member for 4 or 5 years now). I simply didn't update the sticky, but I'll do that now, thanks to your subtle reminder :)

Dan

#88 Tirus

Tirus

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Programming, Music, Martial Arts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:27 AM

if theres some way to prevent the text on home page from distorting the design when the text size is increased, that'd be good. :)

#89 Osmosae

Osmosae

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

Wow alot of posts on this thread isnt there :)

Ok where to start; i think the site does need a facelift, maybe a change in colouring (this doesnt really bother me, the scheme is actually very nice). I think the site should be expandable for higher resolutions though, no need for the white space at the sides. I dont get this whole idea of CSS, and w3c valid sheets. Sure aim for validation, but functionality is key, and ive seen pages lose functionality to validation. Also pages can be cross browser without being 100% valid. Ok 1 more point on this, im well aware of the pro's of css, please do not respond telling me them, its just css and validation, are getting like anti microsoft and anti ie. A trend people follow without thinking.

Ok moving on appologies for rambling. I think twodded should be shut down or else evolved (maybe evolved is the wrong word but there ya go). Maybe develop it into a place for advanced tutorials, but open it to outside sites. Set a group of users to add tutorials. And for that i mean people who know each area, e.g. Simon could monitor photoshop, maya and php. John can monitor php, blender, and c ++. While Jane can monitor C++, blender, maya, and flash. Now we have 2 people for each category (not necessary) but both must agree for a topic to be added, both use the programs, and use them well so they know bad techniques which shouldnt be added, and also to weed out, hello world scripts, or how to model a chalice.

I like the idea of bookmarking tutorials for later ive often wished for this while browsing. Best idea so far nice 1.

Forums layout needs reworking, make better use of subforums rather than a new forum in a category. Or just a clean up, but at the moment its rather cluttered.

The shop/rpg idea isnt bad, it doesnt promote spam that much having a post count does pretty much the same. It wouldnt be a very important feature for this site, but may be fun. However if possible i think it should be adapted so users can turn it on/off, as in view the "cash" of others, or have it hidden.

I think the rating system on tutorials needs to be revamped also. Its not very indepth, while i understand your reasons for not having a commenting system (so as not to take visitors away from the authors site) this is no reason why the rating system couldnt be improved.

As for the drop down box, the categories are alphabetical, if your looking for php its going to be near the bottom with the other p's lol. I also thoroughly dislike the new DA site design.

The tutorials added to this site by users (p2l tutorials, i dont mean 1's submitted by sites) i dont like the way there organised in the forums. Maybe this should be rethought ? If you want some ideas on this just reply ive probably given a bit of a long winded responce already.

#90 Kristopher

Kristopher

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, coding, snowmobiling etc

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have a small suggestion and that is to install the group indicator mod for the forum that way we can all see what the differnt colors are for! Its kind of been bugging me the last few times I have been here!

#91 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have a small suggestion and that is to install the group indicator mod for the forum that way we can all see what the differnt colors are for! Its kind of been bugging me the last few times I have been here!

LOL! Just click on the name and it will load their profile... the group is under the person's name :biggrin: So like admins are bold/blue, P2L Staff are green, dev team yellow etc... that what you mean? :)

Dan

#92 Arutha

Arutha

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:34 AM

LOL! Just click on the name and it will load their profile... the group is under the person's name :) So like admins are bold/blue, P2L Staff are green, dev team yellow etc... that what you mean? :)

Dan

you can tell who does what by signatures nd avatars nyway

Arutha

#93 Kristopher

Kristopher

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, coding, snowmobiling etc

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

Not everyone views every single page of the forum I bet half of the users just look at the index from time to time I just think it would be handy to show the differnt postions on the forum its been suggested on many big forums and has worked great.

#94 Cephas

Cephas

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

more Twod tutorials.

#95 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

Faken, when are you going to put some of these suggestions into action?

Hoot

#96 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

people forget about my ideas of shoutbox hahhahaha
I was thinking of a shoutbox ONLY for forum members
but it's A GREAT WASTE of time (i realized it now... :) )

and I agree with avalanche:

One day at the forums I got warned becouse i tought a photo was a fake and asked if was.
Well, maybe a less-strict moderation would be good, but We can't just let everyone do everything they wan't to do heheheh
A half term (is this right? the word) would be a nice soluton for that

About the site:
- It could be CSS to a faster loading
there are many images at the tables of P2L. I don't think its needed to recode EVERYTHING. can leave the tables but without the images

I'll post an exemple of what I'am trying to say in a few moments

EDITED: here is the exemple:
Posted Image

Edited by Myoto, 27 May 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#97 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

Myoto... I find it VERY hard to believe you received a warning because you asked if a photo was fake or not. I think you're leaving out some details on that one :)

Dan

#98 lllAE86lll

lllAE86lll

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

I want the skin darker so it wont hurt people eyes =D

#99 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

isn't actually hurting eyes when its dark because you can't read at all? :)

#100 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

Myoto... I find it VERY hard to believe you received a warning because you asked if a photo was fake or not. I think you're leaving out some details on that one :tiphat:

Dan

In fact I think it was a miss click, warned me when trying to warn other.
The topic was of a bear climbing a rope, I tought it was a fake
but It wasn't X)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users