Photo

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your... Mouse? Opinions and Suggestions Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 Jem

Jem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design & developing, walking, cycling, reading.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:13 AM

To Jem - I agree that the approvals have fallen behind but it's simply because I've been so busy with the new development that I am a bit behind AND yes, because of sheer volume... I go through hundreds to approve 20. Right now I am about 7 to 10 days behind and I am aiming for 3. Things should get back to normal fairly soon.

Have you thought about taking on extra volunteers or something, specifically for going through tutorials?

#62 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

To Jem - I agree that the approvals have fallen behind but it's simply because I've been so busy with the new development that I am a bit behind AND yes, because of sheer volume... I go through hundreds to approve 20. Right now I am about 7 to 10 days behind and I am aiming for 3. Things should get back to normal fairly soon.

Have you thought about taking on extra volunteers or something, specifically for going through tutorials?

It's starting to look like I won't have a choice lol!

Dan

#63 Jem

Jem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

It's starting to look like I won't have a choice lol!

Well, I don't know the first thing about Photoshop and graphics programs of that ilk, but I'm a whizz with X/HTML and CSS and I know 'enough' PHP so if you need a hand going through those sorts of tutorials, you only have to ask.

Although, saying that, I'm probably far TOO picky for your needs :)

#64 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

Indigo - You mean similar to the script sumission that was mentioned earlier right? Yeah, that's looking like a popular idea :)

Yeah, like this:
Pastebin
Code example
:)

#65 Futingkiller

Futingkiller

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:40 AM

i like the forum as it is.
it would be nicer if the critique my site would be more accesible :)
i am making now a cool site and i wana show (hopely it comes out as i imagine it)

great forum

#66 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

• how about a shoutbox at the index?
  • CSS homepage would be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
  • music to the site? Flash can do a browser-winnamp easy.
  • mIRC channel !!! Have you seen a webIRC? java-full and easy to deal with... This would be a great thing. We coould get LIVE HELP istead of posting a topic at the forums :P
more ideas comming up;... B)

#67 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

I dont like he top 3 idea's, kinda pointless IMO.

I like the IRC idea but not with the java applet. There are loads of IRC clients, even an FF extension.

But IRC = good.

#68 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

The one thing I think this site should have is the ability to go to someones profiles and see all the tutorials they have submitted using their IP or something like that.

you would have a problem there with people. For example me and my brother have the same IP both submit different tutorials from different sites so it would show up I submit more than I really do.

Hoot

#69 TMZHosting LLC

TMZHosting LLC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

If you make the main website in CSS it would be awesome! And maybe an IRC channel.

ViBUtX

#70 depiction

depiction

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

1. I'd like to see a tabless (CSS) layout.
2. There is too much information packed too close together with the current design. You need some more spacing between sections (whitespace!).

#71 Vouksh

Vouksh

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

1. Ruby (Ruby on Rails included) section. It's becoming more and more popular. And frankly, Google hasn't gave me crap for tutorials for it.

2. Rethinking of site navigation. Possibly make a more standard navigation (sidebar style) so it's easier to find your way around.

3. Search Suggesting. Makes it easier than taking a shot in the dark when searching.

#72 Jem

Jem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:32 AM

how about a shoutbox at the index?

IMO these are incredibly amateur and promote spam.

#73 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:28 AM

Yup, i agree with the over-moderation of the forums...

You say the forums are a place to get together hang out and talk for a lil, but its far too strict moderated in my opinion, if you go to a pub or whatever with a few friends to get a drink and have a good talk and you get into an argument and one of your firends goes slightly 'off-topic'. You wont tell him to shut up (lock) and sum up the possible reasons why he has to shut his mouth.
In short i think moderators are too strict, people think, hmm, im not gonna say this because i will probably be warned and my post will be deleted, causing a lack of humor...'

For example, my first warning was when i first joined, somebody requested a 'shiney green logo with an arrow in it' in the hire a designer or coder section, as a joke i put the p2l logo in there as it met all the requirements. :P
Just for fun, but my post was deleted and i got a warning.

This doesnt mean topics with people advertising their (invisionfree :lol:) forums in general discussion or people sharing warez in artwork file sharing should be deleted.

ma input, dont hate me for it :P

As for the site itself, maybe you should slow down on the categories, there are FAR too many, it gets too crowded imo, if im looking for a php tutorial for example, and i click the dropdown menu, i have to scroll all the way down, and probably miss it, so i have to scroll up again, finally finding it after frustrating seconds of looking :P
Many of the categories are not even used.

hmm, myabe an update how the tutorial listing is done, ill leave the to the creativity of you guys ;)

Site stats, you look up a site, and you can see his site stas, tutorials submitted, tutorials declined / accepted, visitors total, average rating and other stuff.

Well, i wish you and the developers good luck with p2l v3?

Also, its a shame that mytuts and p2l are going to be 'enemies' as thats what it looks like at the moment, I would hate to see that happen... :(

beware my spelling errors :o

#74 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

Also, its a shame that mytuts and p2l are going to be 'enemies' as thats what it looks like at the moment, I would hate to see that happen... :D

The My-Tuts team won't/doesn't have enemies.. I feel that if you pick on one target and never focus the rest then your left with one person acing all the targets and you only hitting one... ;) That said, i'm not interested in targets.. I'm interested in what the users think

Edited by Jay, 25 May 2006 - 08:03 AM.

#75 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

Yup, i agree with the over-moderation of the forums...

You say the forums are a place to get together hang out and talk for a lil, but its far too strict moderated in my opinion, if you go to a pub or whatever with a few friends to get a drink and have a good talk and you get into an argument and one of your firends goes slightly 'off-topic'. You wont tell him to shut up (lock) and sum up the possible reasons why he has to shut his mouth.
In short i think moderators are too strict, people think, hmm, im not gonna say this because i will probably be warned and my post will be deleted, causing a lack of humor...'

For example, my first warning was when i first joined, somebody requested a 'shiney green logo with an arrow in it' in the hire a designer or coder section, as a joke i put the p2l logo in there as it met all the requirements. :P
Just for fun, but my post was deleted and i got a warning.

This doesnt mean topics with people advertising their (invisionfree :lol:) forums in general discussion or people sharing warez in artwork file sharing should be deleted.

ma input, dont hate me for it ;)

As for the site itself, maybe you should slow down on the categories, there are FAR too many, it gets too crowded imo, if im looking for a php tutorial for example, and i click the dropdown menu, i have to scroll all the way down, and probably miss it, so i have to scroll up again, finally finding it after frustrating seconds of looking :P
Many of the categories are not even used.

hmm, myabe an update how the tutorial listing is done, ill leave the to the creativity of you guys ;)

Site stats, you look up a site, and you can see his site stas, tutorials submitted, tutorials declined / accepted, visitors total, average rating and other stuff.

Well, i wish you and the developers good luck with p2l v3?

Also, its a shame that mytuts and p2l are going to be 'enemies' as thats what it looks like at the moment, I would hate to see that happen... :(

beware my spelling errors :D

Hey Avalanche... great post and I would like to address a couple of your comments. For your example of over-moderation, the issue here is that what if the thousands of ppl on here all did that? The forums would be a joke. The only reason it doesn't appear to happen constantly is because of the moderation. And you can also look at it this way... if you were the one that posted that help thread, how would you like it if the only responses you got were people joking around?

With that said however, I do agree that there are some posts that were locked that could have been left alone without at worries. I am currently working with staff to better define what gets taken out and what can be left alone, and we've already implemented these changes. I fact, nothing has been moved to the junk bin in nearly a week, and we are now going to simply lock a topic with a reason so ppl know why it was locked, rather than moving it to junk and leaving ppl wondering what happened to their post. The wheels do in fact turn ;)

As for the categories, there will be even more coming, not less, but with a better organization system. Not sure what you mean about the dropdown? When you click a category to browse, it automatically goes to the top of the list and shows the sub categories. Not sure what you mean by having to scroll around? PM me some details if you don't mind :)

As for the stats, it's already there... the source site page. You can start by looking up a site at http://www.pixel2lif...rcesite_search/

As for being enemies with my-tuts, it's not even on the radar lol! My priorities are to this site and it's users, not what other websites are doing ;)

Dan

#76 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

I ment the dropdown menu for the quicksearch.

Posted Image

I dunno if you have already seen the new deviantart layout, (http://www.deviantar...ersecretv5mode/) but check out their categorie browsing, this would imo be ideal for pixel2life. First have just a few categories, coding, graphics, audio, then when you click coding for example, it would show the sub cat's like css php asp and all that.

#77 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

That was actually a nice suggestion Avalance, but - this would cause users to use more time clicking to find the things they're looking for, than browsing just the long list.

About moderation, I don't find it annoying at all, I've never seen any posts being closed for no reasonable reason.

The chat/livehelp-idea ain't bad either. ;)

#78 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

oic... you know that you can perform the search from within a category without actually using that right? Once you are in a category, just put your search in the keyword filter :D But you did just give me an idea :lol: Thanks ;)

#79 Adrian

Adrian

P2L Looser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

IRC would be a great idea and a more structured set of categories like Avalanche said.

#80 velvis

velvis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop and CSS

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

fly-out css menus with drop downs would solve the nav issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users