Photo

Welcome to Pixel2life Version 3 - AKA Hammertime!

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#161 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

lol, Tristan, tell me why vista was called longhorn...:P

Its just a codename i guess, catchy one at that B)

Maybe Dan has a crush on Mr.Hammer? ^_^

#162 Tristan

Tristan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

Maybe we'll just never know, I suppose there doesn't exactly have to be a logical reason because no-one cares, and will most probably call it Version 3... LOL

#163 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

heeeeeeeeellllll nooooo, this has reignighted my love for mc hammers dancing lol. p2l is no longer p2l to me, its Hammertime :D

#164 eVoid

eVoid

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Webdesign

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

lol, Tristan, tell me why vista was called longhorn... :P

Its just a codename i guess, catchy one at that :P

Vista was codenamed longhorn because its something like where the Microsoft HQ is, or thier ski resort or something, there is many different parts to it, and each have different names. Thats why everytime windows makes a new version the codename comes from there. Part of the place is called Longhorn. (hope that makes sense, its late :D lol).

Also i suspect it was called hammertime because the time has come for P2L to hammer down the load time ? and or competitors? lol :P i dunno, just a guess, haha

:D

#165 Tristan

Tristan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

heeeeeeeeellllll nooooo, this has reignighted my love for mc hammers dancing lol. p2l is no longer p2l to me, its Hammertime :D

LOL someone should get Faken to invest into Hammertime.com? On the other hand, probabaly best not... lol

#166 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why it's called Hammertime...? LOL

It was a random name Jay picked for the project when we first started it.

Dan

#167 Tristan

Tristan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why it's called Hammertime...? LOL

It was a random name Jay picked for the project when we first started it.

Dan

Well I love anything thats random! :D

#168 c-c-C-C-UNIT

c-c-C-C-UNIT

Pizza Hut Boy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I prefer how it is now as well I've also been looking at this a lot longer than everyone else so maybe I have a small advantage on knowing where everything is BUT I also just popped someone on this site that's never been to P2L before they have no interest in design, graphics or tutorials but had no problems navigating around if that's any help.

The only major thing I'd like to see fixed is for 800x600 resolution.

That's the only real way to tell, get a couple of friends to come over, and give them tasks to perform on the site (i.e. submit a tutorial, find a tutorial on this, register on the forums etc. etc. ). I'd suggest Steve Krug's "Don't Make me Think" that includes usability ideas and help on running your own tests.

#169 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

I prefer how it is now as well I've also been looking at this a lot longer than everyone else so maybe I have a small advantage on knowing where everything is BUT I also just popped someone on this site that's never been to P2L before they have no interest in design, graphics or tutorials but had no problems navigating around if that's any help.

That's the only real way to tell, get a couple of friends to come over, and give them tasks to perform on the site (i.e. submit a tutorial, find a tutorial on this, register on the forums etc. etc. ). I'd suggest Steve Krug's "Don't Make me Think" that includes usability ideas and help on running your own tests.

Yeah but our site is about making people think and learn!!! :D

*runs*

Dan

#170 haydro

haydro

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

Beautiful!

#171 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

Just a heads up that we're going to start working on the bugs very soon... we've been working nonstop since this morning on the caching system and high CPU usage on the server. It's been a very long day lol! Anyhow, it seems we have it under control now and loads are nice and low where they should be. We've also re-enabled Keepalive so the site should be pretty fast for you guys. It's quite fast for me on my end, so hopefully you guys see a difference as well.

I've also had some 56kers message me to let me know that unlike v2, this new version is actually usable and downloads decently fast. Good news :(

Dan

#172 BigDog

BigDog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Running, building computers, PC games and BMX and programming.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

Great, new feature time :(.

This does load fast compared to yesterday when everyone went on at once. The server crashed or something! But glad to hear the cpu usage is under control.

Good luck! :D

#173 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

:( They never had problems and surely don't need a book on something they would never read lol, even I would never buy that but anyways each to their own I guess in this big wide world.

A quote from that book:

People won't use your web site if they can't find their way around it. Whether you call it usability, ease-of-use, or just good design, companies staking their fortunes and their futures on their Web sites are starting to recognize that it's a bottom-line issue. In Don't Make Me Think, usability expert Steve Krug distills his years of experience and observation into clear, practical--and often amusing--common sense advice for the people in the trenches (the designers, programmers, writers, editors, and Webmasters), the people who tell them what to do (project managers, business planners, and marketing people), and even the people who sign the checks.

Well I guess Steve bunged out on P2L lol as I've seen 5-700 users on this site every 15mins all day. :D I guess the same goes for MySpace and that site is worth Billions.

Now I guess I have to run too lol

#174 sq3r

sq3r

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

Amazing.

Seriously, a huge thumbs up to everyone who worked on it because it's beautiful.

It makes me want to spend more time here just so I can look at it all day.

#175 Megahalo

Megahalo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:32 AM

Amazing just amazing.

#176 chezzy62

chezzy62

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:08 AM

Wow, I can't really say anything else than that. You know what I love the most? You guys added Avid Xpress Pro to the tutorials! Thanks a bunch guys, i'll probably submit an Avid tutorial myself one of these days :(.

#177 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

Who would have thought we'd have a P2L home page that actually passes XHTML validation? I just happened to mention to Chaos how many errors we probably have on the validator, and he informs me it validates just fine lol! Yay!

Actually, I think validation is pure nonsense when it's all your fixated on, but I guess it's one less thing for the haters to harp on me about lol!

Dan

#178 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:41 AM

Who would have thought we'd have a P2L home page that actually passes XHTML validation? I just happened to mention to Chaos how many errors we probably have on the validator, and he informs me it validates just fine lol! Yay!

Actually, I think validation is pure nonsense when it's all your fixated on, but I guess it's one less thing for the haters to harp on me about lol!

Dan

Last time I did the w3.org validation was...never? I just make sure it works in all browsers and if it does then its good, forget validation if it works theres nothing to fix right?

#179 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:43 AM

Dan

Last time I did the w3.org validation was...never? I just make sure it works in all browsers and if it does then its good, forget validation if it works theres nothing to fix right?

That's pretty much how I look at it... most of the people complaining about dispolay errors are folks that forgot to update their IE 7 beta installs lol! Some minor things to fix though, but not too bad at all :(

Dan

#180 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:47 AM

Dan

Worked in all browsers here validated or not mystery meat works too lol, oddly enough the ones harping the site isn't valid blah blah have errors on their sites. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users