Photo

P2L Releases v5342.323372! A new/old layout!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121 HaxxoR

HaxxoR

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

ol your saying this to someone who's designed 100's of websites :P

lets see links....

Can i know which font did you used on P2L to make this header? Thanx.

#122 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

Its Futura Condensed from memory, and coolaid, LINKS???

#123 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

ol your saying this to someone who's designed 100's of websites :o

lets see links....

I don't need to show you any links, Dan can do that himself or you can spend some time researching.

#124 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

yes, there are rules: contrast brightness and organization.

thats it, I don't think there is a rule of mixing boxes with rounded rectangles. Imaginaton got no limits at all.

#125 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

ol your saying this to someone who's designed 100's of websites :)

lets see links....

Been designing websites since 1996, and was designing and studying painting, poster art, animation and sculpture before then. I've actually designed hundreds of websites, done a presentation on advanced actionscript (gravity generators) at Flashforward 2001, was sent to England for 3 weeks to work with the Big Fish design studio to lend them a hand with the Flash version of the Boden.co.uk website (They needed a Flash engine that would work with their shopping cart and online store interface) and worked small stints for other studios in Canada, the US and in Europe, including Tustmarque and Webstorm Media (both companies I worked for and designed their homepages). I've met and worked with guys like Joe Sparks and Shane Mielke among other absolute GENIUS web designers (Shane works for 2Advanced).

There's always room for me to grow further in my design skills, but anyone who tries to come at me with what they think are rules and conformity are not the type I can learn from. Those folks are what we call followers.

Dan

#126 JamesPickens

JamesPickens

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

danny boy calm down ignore the little kiddie with nothing to back up and no name on the web to say anything against you

#127 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

danny boy calm down ignore the little kiddie with nothing to back up and no name on the web to say anything against you

*counts to 10*

:)

Dan

#128 coolaid

coolaid

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:i wonder..

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

woa woa woa i didn't ask or even want to know your life story....

well.. frankly... my dear, i dont give a damn...

btw, im not a "little kiddie"....

#129 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

Dan allow me.

Posted Image

Someone get this man a waaaahmmmmbbullance!

#130 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

Really? You're acting like one.

By asking for links, you are asking for my design credentials, so I'm giving them to you. You can go on those sites and look at the portfolios for work I've done. If you're not prepared for the answer, next time shut your mouth and don't ask or come here and question my designs or skills as though you're some authority on design. Simple.

Stop being an ass.

Now get back on topic or piss off, because quite frankly I'm tired of the bullshit people seem to think I have to put up with because I don't coddle the entire internet.

Dan

#131 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

By asking for links, you are asking for my design credentials, so I'm giving them to you. You can go on those sites and look at the portfolios for work I've done. If you're not prepared for the answer, next time shut your mouth and don't ask or come here and question my designs or skills as though you're some authority on design. Simple.

Stop being an ass.

Dan

LOL Wow, gotta love formal rebuttals :D and Dan, that's an amazing set of credentials!

-austen :D

#132 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Stop being an ass.

Dan

LOL Wow, gotta love formal rebuttals :D and Dan, that's an amazing set of credentials!

-austen :D

To be honest, they're not that amazing at all... it just means I've been in the industry long enough to know what I'm talking about. I don't know it all, not by any stretch, but I definitely know what the REAL fundamentals of design are and how to apply them in thousands of ways.

Dan

#133 coolaid

coolaid

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:i wonder..

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

heahahaaha whambulance... clever...

i wanted links for credibility. you gave me nonsense about things and places you've been and done, none of which have anything to do with design. poster art, actionscript... sculptures.... all that has nothing to do with modern site design.

im not an ass, im blunt. is blunt an ass nowadays? too bad... then im an ass....

and this IS on topic, the design of the current p2l....

#134 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

heahahaaha whambulance... clever...

i wanted links for credibility. you gave me nonsense about things and places you've been and done, none of which have anything to do with design. poster art, actionscript... sculptures.... all that has nothing to do with modern site design.

im not an ass, im blunt. is blunt an ass nowadays? too bad... then im an ass....

and this IS on topic, the design of the current p2l....

If you would have read the actual post, I gave you 3 companies I design for. Go to their sites and look at the portfolios and their homepages. Would you like me to hold your hand accross the street too? You were blunt? No... that's not blunt, that's called being rude. And yes, you're being an ass.

The current topic is P2L, not my design credentials, which you asked for. Everything you posted after your dislike of the design was off topic.

I suggest you drop it at this point.

Dan

#135 TheVault

TheVault

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Wow, seems things heating up here over worthless things. Faken, I think ya need to step your foot down :D

#136 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

Wow, seems things heating up here over worthless things. Faken, I think ya need to step your foot down :D

Coolaid is normally a cool guy... dunno wtf he smoked today.

Dan

#137 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

The ONLY major thing I dont like with the site is the background colour, I find it to dark.

Hoot

#138 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

faken I really think you should have another mix: the webdings icons are way too sweet. It doesn't need to be them, but at the smae style.

Other thing I noticed at the main page:
-there is no rollover at the SEARCH and RSS buttons.
-the rollovere of the main nav, user dock, categories, etc... are too shy, they change a dark grey to black: I really think you should put something more stronger, like changing the whole background color.

we could even create a topic for P2L here

#139 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

faken I really think you should have another mix: the webdings icons are way too sweet. It doesn't need to be them, but at the smae style.

Other thing I noticed at the main page:
-there is no rollover at the SEARCH and RSS buttons.
-the rollovere of the main nav, user dock, categories, etc... are too shy, they change a dark grey to black: I really think you should put something more stronger, like changing the whole background color.

we could even create a topic for P2L here

Give it up with the skins guys... Seriously. We'll do it if we really having nothing else to do maybe this winter or next spring.

The search button is for the search form... there's no rollover. RSS icon has alt-txt... don't need a rollover effect for that. For the other stuff, the global black mouseover on text works. We want to keep things as minimal as possible and avoid a HUGE beefy CSS file for cosmetics that aren't really necessary. I'm really not a fan of row color changing... I dunno, I like subtle - like when the text changes shades or something.

To be honest, I'm not even really looking for/at layout critique right now because aside from errors and bugs, I'm not touching it. There's just way too many things that need to be finished up or even started right now that I can't waste any more time fooling around with it.

Dan

#140 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

Well, you're right, bugs and coding stuff are priority in anything, as doesn't matters if it's a pretty but dioesn't work, right? hehe

or you could let this to a competition. but that's an idea to think about in a couple months away, maybe.

anyway, good luck in the bug hunting :D farewell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users