Photo

P2L Releases v5342.323372! A new/old layout!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#141 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well, you're right, bugs and coding stuff are priority in anything, as doesn't matters if it's a pretty but dioesn't work, right? hehe

or you could let this to a competition. but that's an idea to think about in a couple months away, maybe.

anyway, good luck in the bug hunting :D farewell

Atm we're trying to complete the APIs and we're trying to get some rather major sections like the twodded tutorials back up.

Dan

#142 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

Woaaah, I don't reply for 2 days and bam there's a heated discussion. Anyway, i dont really give a damn if the layout stays like it is now! give us those yummy features :D

#143 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

Wow, seems things heating up here over worthless things. Faken, I think ya need to step your foot down ;)

Coolaid is normally a cool guy... dunno wtf he smoked today.

Dan

I know! I thought i missed something..... :D

Anywho, I have big plans for the p2l api and my new site (consult the sig lol) so sod the layout and get working on it :D

#144 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

I just finished the crawler yesterday and it works perfectly! There's the control panel to do and the documentation/sample codes, and we are ready for release! :D

#145 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

Nice one, im going away next week but i got to take my laptop to do some school work, ill try work on some stuff then if you got it running, even though i wont have the Internet....lol. Have to hijack someones wireless.

#146 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Im really looking forward to the "DirectTut API". Its a really good idea.

#147 TheVault

TheVault

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

I agree with Dan on this. Making sure all the bugs/codeing problems are finished and the new API is first priority. For the most part, the layout & everything is perfect. I really love the way the staff integrated V2 into V3 interface, I love that :P

Anyway, Im sure things will cool down once things begins to roll faster. I knew something like this would happen where people would hate something or complain, I guess its human nature. I can't wait to see what new sexy features Dan & the staff has in store, Im just waiting.

As for the new API, I think alot of sites are going to take advantage of that to generate revenue off P2L which I find sickning. There was this article I was reading on Digg.com with the subject "I Stole Your Bandwidth/Image" or something like that. And basicly, some noob was leeeching this dude images & things for his own personal website and when the owner finally caught on, the person told the dude to put things back to where they where. I sure hope P2L never has its Layouts ripped.

#148 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

I agree with Dan on this. Making sure all the bugs/codeing problems are finished and the new API is first priority. For the most part, the layout & everything is perfect. I really love the way the staff integrated V2 into V3 interface, I love that :P

Anyway, Im sure things will cool down once things begins to roll faster. I knew something like this would happen where people would hate something or complain, I guess its human nature. I can't wait to see what new sexy features Dan & the staff has in store, Im just waiting.

As for the new API, I think alot of sites are going to take advantage of that to generate revenue off P2L which I find sickning. There was this article I was reading on Digg.com with the subject "I Stole Your Bandwidth/Image" or something like that. And basicly, some noob was leeeching this dude images & things for his own personal website and when the owner finally caught on, the person told the dude to put things back to where they where. I sure hope P2L never has its Layouts ripped.

P2L has been ripped several times in the past already.... grr.... oh well, I'm pretty sure Dan took the appropriate legal action. I'm REALLY excited for the new API.. should make things a lot more smooth... good job p2l staff!

-austen :D

#149 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

haha, i remember i found one of the rippers once, reported it to the now virtually dead RH and went to post it on here, but some bugger has got there first lol! (so i didnt register hahha)

NGPixel, when you say ready, do you mean within this week?

#150 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, our layout has been ripped many times... nothing new there lol!

As for the APIs, we're trying to make them user friendly and obviously protected from abuse. The Search Box API for example displays records on the P2L search results page similar to how the google search bar does, although I'm told that they have changed that. Either way, we realized people could essentially run a tutorial site by simply using our XML feeds and a search box that displayed results on their sites, so we had to limit that a bit.

The next API we're going to release, which we're finishing up now, will require some minor coding by the site owners to get working if you want it fully automated. We'll provide examples and as much help as we can, but this won't exactly be a matter of drop the code on your page and it's done. I'll reveal the details later, but this will be something along the lines of how the Google Sitemaps work.

Dan

#151 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, our layout has been ripped many times... nothing new there lol!

As for the APIs, we're trying to make them user friendly and obviously protected from abuse. The Search Box API for example displays records on the P2L search results page similar to how the google search bar does, although I'm told that they have changed that. Either way, we realized people could essentially run a tutorial site by simply using our XML feeds and a search box that displayed results on their sites, so we had to limit that a bit.

The next API we're going to release, which we're finishing up now, will require some minor coding by the site owners to get working if you want it fully automated. We'll provide examples and as much help as we can, but this won't exactly be a matter of drop the code on your page and it's done. I'll reveal the details later, but this will be something along the lines of how the Google Sitemaps work.

Dan

Oooooo!!!!! Sounds VERY interesting! *ponders* Well I'm sure it will be amazing, like the rest of the site :P

-austen :D

#152 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hmmm, am i the only one thinking along the lines of writing an "official HOW-TO tutorials on integrating the p2l API"?

I like APIs, they let you interact with the site more, and this is finally an api i want to use (unlike googles etc which if fun but i have never had a reason).

I think that tutorial or atleast a guide depending on what you write might be something for me to think about after ive got some work out my holiday out of the way :P

EDIT: WAIIIT, ahh no austin man you were cool lol. With the whole retro controller and mac nerd thing going on, but dude...

Well I'm sure it will be amazing, like the rest of the site

Teacher, would you like an apple? lol. jkjk.

Edited by .Matt, 21 August 2006 - 12:24 PM.

#153 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Actually, I'm hoping to get someone to write up a tutorial on different ways of using the RSS feeds on P2L... like how to show the latest 10 or 20 P2L tutorials on your Wordpress blog or something (like I do atm) or on your forums like at 13dots.com.

Dan

#154 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

Well, i could do one (in a week or two when i've caught up on work) of just simple RSS feed parsing with php, to go on any site, and i could probably do one on a phpnuke block (i was up setting phpnuke up @ 2am the other night for someone, 1st time i used it lol)

Don't know nothing about WP or the main forum softwares but im sure if i get a few days free time i can look into it. :D

(i will have to be extremely bored though :P jk )

Edited by .Matt, 21 August 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#155 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

Actually, I'm hoping to get someone to write up a tutorial on different ways of using the RSS feeds on P2L... like how to show the latest 10 or 20 P2L tutorials on your Wordpress blog or something (like I do atm) or on your forums like at 13dots.com.

Dan

I posted 2 tutorials inside the forums awhile back on how to import/export them on your forums (IPB)

http://www.pixel2lif...showtopic=12388

http://www.pixel2lif...showtopic=12389

Both work with V2.1.7 as IPB has the inbuilt import/export works well from your blog actually Dan as it grabs the full post lol but I have them all disabled atm

Also seen them around for wordpress and others

#156 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

The DirectTut API cannot be abused simply because of the way it works. It's not the user that post data to P2L server but P2L server that grab data from the user website. The crawler cannot be accessed in any way (even Dan and I can't access the crawler). Only the localhost can run it.

This was a better option than asking users to build their own scripts to post their tuts to P2L server which required much more skills and some requirements on their server (cURL for example).

If you know how to generate an XML file containing your tutorials, then you're ready to go. Some detailed documentation and code samples will be available if you're not sure how-to.

#157 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

Ahh, so its easier than i thought you'd make it lol.

Well, i already have working XML feeds off all posts made under x category(s) / with x tag(s) so ill add a new category called "p2l tutorials" and im away! Wo0t.

#158 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

You will need to have the proper XML formatting and structure though lol

#159 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

No way man, i make my own, you follow mine, or i h4x0!2 jo0! :D Yeah ok slight overlook on my part, small modifications needed, ;) lol

Edited by .Matt, 21 August 2006 - 02:53 PM.

#160 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

*opening Admin CP to ban .Matt*

<_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users