Photo

Just checking in on everyone and the site! Comments?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

1. 'Motivate' people to vote/ comment on tutorials. Do this by having your site display the tutorial details with vote bar and popup the tutorial at the same time. That way when a user is finished viewing the tutorial they are prompted to rate it and comment.

If your prompted it's annoying, like forcing someone to comment.

#22 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

I have a few suggestions for the site:

1. 'Motivate' people to vote/ comment on tutorials. Do this by having your site display the tutorial details with vote bar and popup the tutorial at the same time. That way when a user is finished viewing the tutorial they are prompted to rate it and comment.

I would sort by rating after keyword... but its useless when they are unrated.

2. Ad more ways to discover tutorials already submitted. They don't all have to be completely intuitive either, add some fun ways, like grabbing all the little thumbnails and putting them into a big grid.

3. Rename tutorial of the week and site of the week to "Webdesigndev.com Ad of the Week"
- joking... :huh:

4. Make user driven contests. Poll for contest ideas. Make them weekly and catalog them with winner's username and site if they have one. Let users view past contests, threads and winners. Give winners username a little trophy or star or pixel for each time they win a contest.
Toss in some pixel2life annual tutorial awards and hand out fun trophies like "Shiniest Tutorial Award", "Most Innovative Award", "Web 2.0ish Award", etc.

5. MORE community features. Forum is excellent but what else can we come up with that no one has?

Max (PHD)

Hi Max,

Thanks for the great suggestions, I'll look over these with dev asap :) For #3, it's because they bought those spots for a few weeks for various tutorials :)

Dan

#23 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

I only checked the p2l publish page and the homepage for xhtml validity with the button provided at the button and they both returned errors. Just thought I would point it out. :huh:

#24 PixelHiveDesign

PixelHiveDesign

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

If your prompted it's annoying, like forcing someone to comment.

Hi Donna,

No real prompt, since tutorials are hosted on other sites they pop up over pixel2life. What I'm saying is have pixel2life goto the voting part of the tutorial they just clicked on behind the popup. When they are done with the tutorial they will close the tutorial and then they see a place to vote on the tutorial they just viewed.

I donno, either way the voting system is not used on this site and it would be worthwhile to try and get people to participate in it.

But I do agree with you, no prompts... that would be annoying.

#25 Trusttec

Trusttec

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Wakeboarding, snowmobling

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

Hi Donna,

No real prompt, since tutorials are hosted on other sites they pop up over pixel2life. What I'm saying is have pixel2life goto the voting part of the tutorial they just clicked on behind the popup. When they are done with the tutorial they will close the tutorial and then they see a place to vote on the tutorial they just viewed.

I donno, either way the voting system is not used on this site and it would be worthwhile to try and get people to participate in it.

I think more less a better way to do that would be to have the tutorial display in a frame ( I cant believe i just said that ) Then have like radio buttons at the top and the user can rate the tutorial on how effective it was...

#26 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:24 AM

I only checked the p2l publish page and the homepage for xhtml validity with the button provided at the button and they both returned errors. Just thought I would point it out. :)

yes I know.. .one of the advertisers is using a URL that the validator doesn't like... that'll be gone when their ad is finished.

Hi Donna,

I think more less a better way to do that would be to have the tutorial display in a frame ( I cant believe i just said that ) Then have like radio buttons at the top and the user can rate the tutorial on how effective it was...

That's actually the #1 thing to do in order to have websmasters SCREAM at you. See how long it lasted at GT? :huh: In terms of voting, it's the same amount of clicks as last time, cept now is restricted to members because ppl were abusing the hell out of the old system.

Dan

#27 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:36 AM

I can't believe you wrote that either lol, make sure it's not in the water supply could cause a panic.

#28 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:08 AM

Its quite good :huh:

oh, why does everyone aska bout ver. 4?

Dan, dont do ver. 4 just save yourself the time and skip to ver. 5 or 6 :)

#29 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

I honestly don't really think in terms of version this or that like most... I don't think you'll see a new "version" update on here in a long long time, if at all. We'll just add new features and modules and tweak things as we go, but you won't see any drastic layout changes for at least a couple years, if at all.

Dan

#30 faulk

faulk

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Web design<br />Music<br />Audio engineering<br />Baseball (red sox!)<br />Snowboarding<br />Video production<br />Web app development

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

the site is working very well for me, but I have just noticed one thing:

when I click on the left side of the layout everything gets highlighted, has anyone else experianced this little bug? Seems to be a firefox only issue.

#31 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

the site is working very well for me, but I have just noticed one thing:

when I click on the left side of the layout everything gets highlighted, has anyone else experianced this little bug? Seems to be a firefox only issue.

Yeah, this is a weird bug with firefox and no one has been able to figure out why.

Dan

#32 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

faken, the new layout is good, works fine etc etc etc...
but this kind of layout is very old and way too normal: a 3 column based layout.

Yea, this style of page is good, that's why almost everyone uses it. But wouldn't be cool to have a website diferent from the others (without compromising the easy use of it)

P2L is a great website, but if you take a look the only BIG diference between P2L and others tutorial sites is that P2L has much more tuts.

My only sugestion is to use more creativity into the project. :rolleyes:

cheers

#33 cheerio

cheerio

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

I think that people who comment and check out the tutorials should get prizes or some sort of appreciation. This way people are encouraged to vote/comment and they get a benefit from it too, without the need for prompts and annoying popups/frames.

#34 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

faken, the new layout is good, works fine etc etc etc...
but this kind of layout is very old and way too normal: a 3 column based layout.

Yea, this style of page is good, that's why almost everyone uses it. But wouldn't be cool to have a website diferent from the others (without compromising the easy use of it)

P2L is a great website, but if you take a look the only BIG diference between P2L and others tutorial sites is that P2L has much more tuts.

My only sugestion is to use more creativity into the project. :)

cheers

Have you found a new layout style? 4 columns? The 3 column style is far from being old and its the best way to display all the content we need to. Also, i don't think having a different website style would be a good idea. People would get lost into the layout. It must be easy to use and navigate.

But for creativity, no worries, our upcoming projects have some nice layout designs.

#35 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

no no, I'm not sugesting to P2L turn up into a messup. There is no need to chnage everything drasticaly.

for exemple: In the green v3 layout, we had the forum button on the header, that was a good way of navigation

What I'm sugesting is to make things even easier and in a more creative way like the v3 was.

#36 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

:)

#37 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:47 AM

no no, I'm not sugesting to P2L turn up into a messup. There is no need to chnage everything drasticaly.

for exemple: In the green v3 layout, we had the forum button on the header, that was a good way of navigation

What I'm sugesting is to make things even easier and in a more creative way like the v3 was.

ive noticed that too, any way we could have a forum link up where the four pictures are atm?i always used to click that instead of the breadcrumb trail if i wanted to get to the forum index :)

#38 Adαm

Adαm

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

Im getting some 403s every now and then :)

I got one when trying to post this message aswell :D

#39 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

Im getting some 403s every now and then :)

I got one when trying to post this message aswell :D

now that you mention it, so have i. thought it was just my shite internet though so hadnt said anything until now.

#40 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

I really haven’t had a problem so keep it up. Also I would like to say thanks to everyone to make this site this good so we have a place to come to view tutorials. Also if anyone out there isn't registered on the forums I think they should join because it is a great community of people from all over the world! Good work everyone keep it up.

dEcade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users