Photo

TUTORIALSEEK.COM VERSION 2 OFFICIALLY RELEASED!

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

For those of you disappointed with the design in terms of complexity and such, you need to understand that due to the amount of visitors we get each day, we had NO CHOICE but to eliminate as many images and other elements that increase load times as possible to keep the site fast even though we get hundreds of thousands of visotrs a month. Notice other large search engine sites have almost no graphics? We had to cut back for the same reason. So we had to do our best with as little images as possible.

Also the current site looks like a gaming clan site, which is a look we don't want. Not that it's a bad thing, just not the style we're looking for.

Faken

#62 jalweber

jalweber

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, work, snowmobiling<br>

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

Wow, looking pretty sick guys... Great job!

#63 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

sorry but yall need to realize that its not always about the Gfx.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't gfx the main part of this whole site?

Actually, it's not... the focus of pixel2life.com is to provide you with a site that facilitates the search for tutorials guides on specific software, design and programming related categories. We want to help you learn faster and easier than just using a regular search engine. We'll do our best to make the interface pretty, but that's definitely second priority. We made the look #1 in version 1, and now we're paying for it with slow load times and CRAZY bandwidth. Let me give you an example... A certain very popular photoshop tutorial website out there goes through 350GB of bandwidth per month, yet probably has about 4 times our traffic. P2L will probably do 400GB this month! That's pretty much out of control so it's time we look ahead and focus on what's important - helping our members and visitors.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback, and as expected (If you guys remember I actually warned you from the get go) there would be some disappointed folks because of the scaling back of the interface look.

Anyhow, that hopefully answers somr of the questions regarding the look of the site, and we're sure that trading graphics for functionality was the smart decision to make for all parties.

Faken

#64 jalweber

jalweber

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Just as a sort of question...

What exactly would people post for tutorials on M$ Word? Seems mostly self explanatory to me...

Enlighten me, please. :hi:

#65 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

Just as a sort of question...

What exactly would people post for tutorials on M$ Word? Seems mostly self explanatory to me...

Enlighten me, please. :hi:

if you knew how to use most of the features of MS Word, you'd know ;)

its packed with hundreds of features

#66 JamesPickens

JamesPickens

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

^^correct. i dont even know how to use much of word, and tutorials would help me, well now i do cause i been thru computer classes in highschool and already got my highschool computer degree, giving me a chance to go to college wit a lil scholarship help in computer career or get a job out of hs for a low key computer career. and trust me knowing MS Word n excell and all them will help

#67 jalweber

jalweber

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

I do know M$ word... If there is a tut in there that will help me hugely, I will be amazed. Considering its just Word.

#68 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

I do know M$ word... If there is a tut in there that will help me hugely, I will be amazed. Considering its just Word.

So you know how to use charting macros in word? Or the correct way in auto setting the heading fields to automatically generate a table of contents (Functions I use on a weekly basis at work btw)? if you do, congrats, but many don't. Every category you see in the new release has been requested btw.

Faken

#69 ronson

ronson

Banned For Being Purple

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Programming, Building Computers, Networking, Web Design and...........BINGE DRINKING!!!!!!.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:18 PM

I've gotta say this but, i think it's nasty =X i prefer the layout you have on P2L already. But i have to say the new one looks more professional, but i still prefer this one. :hi:

#70 jalweber

jalweber

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

So you know how to use charting macros in word? Or the correct way in auto setting the heading fields to automatically generate a table of contents (Functions I use on a weekly basis at work btw)? if you do, congrats, but many don't. Every category you see in the new release has been requested btw.

Faken

I'm not trying to diss it in any way. I know that there are a lot of people that need help with simple programs so they can get a footing in computers. I think its great that you guys are helping out... I was just curious what exactly it would hold for tuts, so maybe I could post a couple. :P

#71 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:28 AM

Faken

Just want to add to this, I worked with excel and word in different jobs i thought I knew all the tricks and treats but theres a lot more to the programs themselves when you get right in.

I think its a neato idea to have all the other software added, great resource for P2L

I have a weird feeling 12months from now P2L is going to be so huge its almost going to be scary

Good luck guys you have done well and turned a dream into reality not too many on the web can do that.

#72 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:11 AM

I have a weird feeling 12months from now P2L is going to be so huge its almost going to be scary

P2L is the Gooooogle of tutorials :D

#73 p0iz

p0iz

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:25 AM

P2L is the Gooooogle of tutorials :)

true :D

#74 Atomica

Atomica

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music-Art

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

im liking it a lot, great job everyone who made it.\cant wait for P2L v.2 :D :)

#75 ludwigw

ludwigw

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Designer at Lee ter Wal.

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:25 AM

Guys, I just made an idiot of my self :) POsted the hey see P2L's new layout in Genereal coz I didnt see it under News and Announcements (thought it'd be the latest one) so someone please delete it B)

#76 Apache

Apache

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:43 AM

Great Site, love it, especially all the new sections :)

#77 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

Can I make a suggestion to please add a sub catergory under Swish: prototypes and script please.

Thankyou if you add this.

#78 Ghost

Ghost

Honored P2L Member

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:01 AM

Here's a smallish kinda mistake. When you submit a tutorial, it says

There where no errors with your submission.

Change the 'where' to 'were'. <3

#79 MillerTime

MillerTime

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

at people saying its too plain:
if your looking for designs that are totally compicated and fantastic on a huge tutorial database like this..im sorry to say but your not that smart..it takes long to load the page with this much tutorials on the database/server and adding a lot of images and stuff..that would be hell..its best to have a simple thing with the least amount to effects as possible without making it look crappy..IMO the new version its awesome..great job you guys

@ the people saying the new categories are dumb..
your saying that no one uses some of the new categories..is it no one or just no you..i have one thing to say..STOP BEING SELF CENTERED..like people always used to say to me..the world doesnt revolve around you..

if you try and make a tutorial database like this one with what you think will make it skyrocket..by all means go ahead..we'll just see how long it will last before people complain about the pages loading too slow and there not being enough categories..

*sidenote* one of the longest things im have written

#80 Real_FX

Real_FX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Wow. I suddenly got really busy and seemed to fail in my quest to become a regular P2L forum poster and then...I return to find some bloody amazing site at tutorialseek.com!

I am very impressed at the design and I think that the whole idea of cutting down on images, etc, was very sensible. For some people who are pros at making eye-bursting website layouts with tons of images, attempting to make a cleaner, smoother layout is sometimes very hard. The end result can look tacky.
But you guys...You totally own..

The expansion of categories is excellent and I completely disagree with the comments about Word and Excel being stupid additions. The amount of people that use these applications is incredible, and if someone wants help with a certain feature, guess which direction I will point them in? :P

When I become a rich businessman (when - not if), I'll be donating a large sum of money to all the P2L crew!

Thanks for all your hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users