• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hahha... a thread on the BBC UK site... no bias there or anything ROFL! It baffles me how people that have never played both sports in any formal league see themselves fit to provide even the slightest opinion on the topic.

Dan

well, it isnt really, seeing as a few of the main contributors to the thread are american and candian. people can base opinions on what they see too, you dont have to have played a game to understand what it is like in terms of fitness or aggressiveness etc. but actually one or two people in that thread have played both (or all three - league, union, american football).

It's mostly UK ppl, and yes, you do have to play them to understand them properly. If you haven't played it, you're doing nothing more than guessing because you have no experience and no idea. Fitness levels and the agressive nature of contact sports is developed over time through constant playing. You have to learn it... you can't do that by watching it on TV or playing it a few times with your buddies in the yard. You can certainly pick up the concept of the game or learn the plays etc... but you won't know how it feels to get run over by a linebacker until you actually do it. It's like saying you know what Sky Diving is all about because you've seen people sky dive on TV. Sorry, but no. lol!

Dan

#62 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

sorry but i completely disagree with you there. i think watching any sport live or on tv you can gauge what attributes the athletes need to have to be successful.

just because someone has never physically played a sport it does not mean they cant have an opinion on it, and just because someone has played them all, it does not mean they know everything there is to know about them (i'm still pondering over what a takedown is by the way).

fair enough in some cases they may have a better knowledge of the rules and tactics etc... but for example, to say someone knows fek all about football (not soccer, football) just because they havnt played it before is complete tripe. and living proof is my mother who has never kicked a football in her life yet knows all the rules, what makes a good player, and all about tactics etc.

Fitness levels and the agressive nature of contact sports is developed over time through constant playing. You have to learn it... you can't do that by watching it on TV or playing it a few times with your buddies in the yard.

as for that... what?

so the more you play an aggressive sport the better you get at being aggressive? i dont get that, either youre an animal or youre not... you cant train some softy to be a complete nutcase, simply because its not in his nature.

edit: stop editting your posts after i post :tiphat:

Edited by Stu, 07 June 2006 - 08:29 AM.

#63 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Huh?? Re-read my post... I clearly said you can certainly learn about the game aspects like game plays, rules etc... but you'll never have a clue about the true nature of any sport in terms of physical and mental requirements unless you play it. It's not something you can learn by reading a rule book or watching it on TV. You can disagree with that all you like, I really don't care... Any athlete I know would laugh at an arm chair quarter back trying to tell them how it feels to be tackled.

so the more you play an aggressive sport the better you get at being aggressive? i dont get that, either youre an animal or youre not... you cant train some softy to be a complete nutcase, because its not in his nature?

Correct, aggression is learned as confidence and skill increases. You've got some guys that are animals right out the gate, especially in older athletes that try a new sport. 99% of junior league players are extremely timid and only become assertive and aggressive on the field as they develop their experience and skills. When I was in my second year of Football, I was still pretty spooked about getting slammed head on... by my 4th year I was a nutcase because I could hit properly and I was physically adapted to playing. So, when I started playing Rugby, I appeared to be a psycho, but it was my years of football experience that was merely carrying over to the other sport.

edit: stop editting your posts after i post :tiphat:

Huh? I didn't touch my post after you posted... I edited right after I first posted before you had said anything... in fact, after I edited I went and posted two new threads and responded in others.

Dan

#64 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

You can certainly pick up the concept of the game or learn the plays etc... but you won't know how it feels to get run over by a linebacker until you actually do it. It's like saying you know what Sky Diving is all about because you've seen people sky dive on TV. Sorry, but no. lol!

suposse a new edit deserves a new reply :tiphat:

im not arguing that you wont know what it feels like to get cracked by a 1 ton monster running at 50mph, but when you see the poor sod flattened on the floor you can certainly feel his pain. so while you may not be in hospital, but you can certainly gauge how aggresive the sport is when that happens.

and you can certainly get a feel for the enormity of what a skydiver is about to when he looks out of the plane with his camera and everything is the size of an ant... and thats all i need to know to NOT want to do it thanks!

#65 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

but when you see the poor sod flattened on the floor you can certainly feel his pain. so while you may not be in hospital, but you can certainly gauge how aggresive the sport is when that happens.

and you can certainly get a feel for the enormity of what a skydiver is about to when he looks out of the plane with his camera and everything is the size of an ant... and thats all i need to know to NOT want to do it thanks!

No, you can't. Sorry but you are totally wrong and anyone that has never played ball or leaped out of a plane that would try to tell the experienced person otherwise would be laughed at. I watched TONS of jump videos before my first jump and it was not even SLIGHTLY CLOSE to how I felt to be standing on the dive platform.

Dan

#66 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

You can disagree with that all you like, I really don't care

i stopped reading there, as if you dont care, there really is no point in even trying to carry on with this, as fun as it was.

No, you can't. Sorry but you are totally wrong and anyone that has never played ball or leaped out of a plane that would try to tell the experienced person otherwise would be laughed at.

no opinons or views allowed here guys! :tiphat:

Edited by Stu, 07 June 2006 - 08:39 AM.

#67 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

i stopped reading there, as if you dont care, there really is no point in even trying to carry on with this, as fun as it was.

I don't mind... hard to discuss anything with someone who thinks they can know anything about playing a sport or how an athlete feels by watching it on TV ROFL!

Dan

#68 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

no opinons or views allowed here guys! :tiphat:

You can have opinions all you like... even if you're completely wrong. :P

#69 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:42 AM

I don't mind... hard to discuss anything with someone who thinks they can know anything about playing a sport or how an athlete feels by watching it on TV ROFL!

Dan

actually, dan, it is equally as hard discussing it with someone who knows it all and cant be wrong. get off your high horse pal.

#70 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

haha... so I'm right and you're wrong, so I'm on my high horse... ROFL! It's not hard being right in this arguement because you sound ridiculous... you're actually trying to argue that you can know how an athlete feels by watching it on TV. This sounds logical to you?! Next thing you know you can know how anyone feels by watching TV!! AMAZING!

When you have something you're qualified to argue about, let me know... until then, get off your soap box.

Too bad the ppl sending me PMs don't post lol!

Dan

#71 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

i agree with both of you.

Dan: ur right, you can never know what it is fully like until you have fully experianced it

Stu: ur also right, from watching it you can get a feel for what its like, it may not be much, but you can get the idea of it

#72 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

Dan: ur right, you can never know what it is fully like until you have fully experianced it

Stu: ur also right, from watching it you can get a feel for what its like, it may not be much, but you can get the idea of it

Exactly! You can watch it and get a very good idea of what the sport is about. But you'll never know how it feels to get hit or the utter fear of jumping out of plane until you do it.

Dan

#73 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

Exactly! You can watch it and get a very good idea of what the sport is about. But you'll never know how it feels to get hit or the utter fear of jumping out of plane until you do it.

Dan

and yes, exactly my point. obviously you dont know how painful breaking your arm is until youve done it - and i wasnt trying to argue that, but from what people had told me, as soon as id done it, it was was as painful as i though it would be - which proves my point that you can get a feel these kind of things from what you see/are told etc.

and yes dan, its a real shame the brown nosers wont post on here letting us know what they think...

'so I'm right and you're wrong, so I'm on my high horse' ... naturally i must be wrong if you are right. well done.
'You can have opinions all you like... even if you're completely wrong' whoops! watch you dont fall off pal!
as for you on your high horse, the above is exactly what i mean. opinions are opinions, yours are not 'better' than mine and vice versa, so dont act like your opinions are more credible than mine because you assume you know more on the subject/s about me.

and exactly what is it that makes you qualified to speak about this, but not me? do you have some sort of degree which makes you qualified? or maybe is it because youve played every sport under the sun and been sky diving, it makes you the most knowledgable sports enthusiast on this forum?

#74 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

Dan

and yes, exactly my point. obviously you dont know how painful breaking your arm is until youve done it - and i wasnt trying to argue that, but from what people had told me, as soon as id done it, it was was as painful as i though it would be - which proves my point that you can get a feel these kind of things from what you see/are told etc.

and yes dan, its a real shame the brown nosers wont post on here letting us know what they think...

'so I'm right and you're wrong, so I'm on my high horse' ... naturally i must be wrong if you are right. well done.
'You can have opinions all you like... even if you're completely wrong' whoops! watch you dont fall off pal!
as for you on your high horse, the above is exactly what i mean. opinions are opinions, yours are not 'better' than mine and vice versa, so dont act like your opinions are more credible than mine because you assume you know more on the subject/s about me.

and exactly what is it that makes you qualified to speak about this, but not me? do you have some sort of degree which makes you qualified? or maybe is it because youve played every sport under the sun and been sky diving, it makes you the most knowledgable sports enthusiast on this forum?

:huh:

Yes Stu... anything you say. :blink:

Actually, the fact that I have been playing league sports since you were born actually does make me more credible and qualified. Thanks for pointing that out too! Oh wait, there's also the fact that I am a certified coach, trainer and swimming instructor (bronze cross) which required several years of schooling on top of that. In fact, I still have to take courses and tests to maintain those certifications... So yeah I'd say my assumption that I know more on this subject is quite spot on.

Dan

#75 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

hey if anybody is right its me

i was the one who explained what you both were saying into a few words and got an agreement from you

*pushes Stu off and jumps on

:blink:

#76 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

hey if anybody is right its me

i was the one who explained what you both were saying into a few words and got an agreement from you

*pushes Stu off and jumps on

:huh:

Careful Deadly... you can't agree with me too much, otherwise you're a brown noser :blink:

Dan

#77 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

who said i was agreeing with you then lol

and i aint no brown noser, gotta stand on your own to feet.

#78 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:16 AM

*cough* :huh:

I sense brown nosage!!!! :blink:

Dan

#79 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

who sounds ridiculous now?

#80 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

you might want to see a doctor about that cough, last person i knew who had a bad cough like that and said people had brown noses diserpeared suddenly :blink:

but i had to cut you some slack, being the first time you were slightly right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users