• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#121 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Im a logo designer, my expertise is branding. I do templates too, but I suck at coding :). I do little photography as well...:)<br />Thats all

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

I made this one with basket...
Posted Image

Everything in the first one seems really pixely.

dEcade

Yeah I see it too...
Dunno what might be the reason...
Im gonna check it later then edit post...
Thanks

I have a double layer on that one, same layer on top of it, but I dont have time to edit it right now.....

Edited by NothingMan, 10 September 2006 - 11:26 AM.

#122 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

always remember that a logo may be displayed in any sizes ;)

do it in vectorial soft like inkscape for example :(

cause i'm not really sure that the top of your basket car be really seen in 200 px width :ph34r:

#123 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

i tried ;)

if i ' ve understood: webshop is the name of an web app that can allow you to do your own shop

so i was thinking as i watch others trys that those logo can surely fit to an end user shopper wich may buy something on the site

so i try to work around the idea of the future user (i hope) of this system and thought that the first appeal of an webshop maker is money :(

si i tried with money and add it a sphere to extend the idea of money to whole world to give it more power.

the sphere is also currently used to symbolise internet so that's perfect :ph34r:

Typo i choose was to give confidence in the site (old style)

i've made it in different size to show that it could be displayed well ;)

gimme your opinion about it :)

Posted Image

Edited by alter-box, 10 September 2006 - 06:01 PM.

#124 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Im a logo designer, my expertise is branding. I do templates too, but I suck at coding :). I do little photography as well...:)<br />Thats all

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

always remember that a logo may be displayed in any sizes ;)

do it in vectorial soft like inkscape for example :(

cause i'm not really sure that the top of your basket car be really seen in 200 px width :ph34r:

What do you mean by "vectorial soft like inkscape"?

#125 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Soccer, Hockey, Guitar, CKY

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

He means Vector based imaging software... but I know you use PS and Illustrator so you're fine.

#126 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

sorry i'm french so i may not be clear :(

to work on logo using vectors is the best cause vectors files do not store the image pixel by pixel but by line and color

see the wikipedia subject on it

http://en.wikipedia....Vector_graphics

illustrator do but photoshop didn't use real vectors so it can occure pixel problems when resizing :ph34r:

i was just saying that if you want to use real vectors you can try inkscape (free that's why i spoke of it)

http://www.inkscape.org/

from there you can export png files for example and work around in photoshop :)

am i clear ? :wacko: ;)

#127 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

gimme your opinion about it ;)

Posted Image

Should have checked his posts mentioning the fonts... he likes sans-serif fonts (And he said he'd rather have a basket/cart/box than a globe or clock)

Looks pretty nice in my opinion though.

#128 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

i experiment with sans serif font and it has lost all power

Posted Image

and for the coins+sphere symbol like i explained it really looks to me better orientated symbol

prove it ?

what makes people firstly is obviously what visualy represent first to them the name and concept ;)

wait and see and maybe another try :)

Edited by alter-box, 10 September 2006 - 06:29 PM.

#129 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

It makes me think of a bank more than a shop though :)

#130 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

For the coins yes it could cause it's symbolise money but i was speaking about the addition to globe ( you said that basket or cart is better than a globe or a clock)

if i said that i thought that it was a good melted symbol it's because i try to think to the user.

What can make someone choose to set up an e-shop ?

if one day i choose to do so it'll be because :
- i want to sell something (for money)
- i want to sell it online cause theres no closed shop wich can maximse profits

money appears me to be the leading idea and internet and online network like the second one

so coins for money and globe for internet and money on front globe in the back

i'm not saying that a basket or a cart cannot make me think about webshopping cause it will be false :)

but i feel a difference between:

a site wich have multiple products to sell
a site wich sell the solution to sell those products

wait and see ;)

Edited by alter-box, 10 September 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#131 Daniel D

Daniel D

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:53 PM

The most simple logos i've ever pulled off.. :)

Logo 1:
Posted Image

Logo 2:
Posted Image

Edited by minus, 10 September 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#132 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

For the coins yes it could cause it's symbolise money but i was speaking about the addition to globe ( you said that basket or cart is better than a globe or a clock)

if i said that i thought that it was a good melted symbol it's because i try to think to the user.

What can make someone choose to set up an e-shop ?

if one day i choose to do so it'll be because :
- i want to sell something (for money)
- i want to sell it online cause theres no closed shop wich can maximse profits

money appears me to be the leading idea and internet and online network like the second one

so coins for money and globe for internet and money on front globe in the back

i'm not saying that a basket or a cart cannot make me think about webshopping cause it will be false smile.gif

but i feel a difference between:

a site wich have multiple products to sell
a site wich sell the solution to sell those products

wait and see ;)

I believe you may have over thought this one a little...

All people want to see is organization and a logo that looks simple and recognizable, that flows well with the website that it's marketing for.

A first time user wants to see that the people they're dealing with know what they're doing, because if you're going to a site called webshop365.net, you're either a misguided shopper (in which case you'll leave anyway) or you're looking to start your own shop, in which case the logo message won't mean nearly as much as it's function as a design element of the website.

A user that has been to your site before just needs to remember the brand, whether they recognize the colours somewhere, they hear the words web shop, it doesn't matter, as long as they remember. Word of mouth advertising is the most efficient advertising (In my opinion at least) as you're getting advice from somebody you trust, or at least know of.

That's why for your next attempt I would recommend trying something that reflects more on the appeal of the logo, rather than the message it portrays.

But don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to help, and sorry if I sound a little obnoxious. :)

Edited by mattyK, 10 September 2006 - 10:05 PM.

#133 Discontinuity

Discontinuity

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:09 AM

i experiment with sans serif font and it has lost all power

Posted Image

and for the coins+sphere symbol like i explained it really looks to me better orientated symbol

prove it ?

what makes people firstly is obviously what visualy represent first to them the name and concept ;)

wait and see and maybe another try :)

Well, if you will use all capitals and photoshop (look at that aliasing) for your text without considering font-weights, font colours and the overall 'weight of the brand' then it will 'lose power'. I would identify the globe/coins with a pyramid scheme (wide-reaching with the 'stack' effect, or 'get money from africa' due to the position of the coins. The primary/secondary colour useage makes the logo a bit 'childlike', with more 'adult colours' usually being used for corporate brands, and bringing the yellow to the forefront confuses the eye (is this a yellow logo or a blue one? or even a green one?). The thin strokes of the font give the impression a lack of self-confidence and size to the company. But people are looking for a shopping solution not a money-making solution. The company they run is their money-making solution, they're looking to add an internet shopping basket to it. So while the 'globe' kind of works for 'internet', there are stronger themes and the word 'web' + overall design will bring this across to the viewer. While your comments are not essentially inaccurate, if it were true the logotype for each bank would be a safe, a bank note, a gold bar or a combination of the above. Thinking slightly outside the box visually sets you aside from the competition - for example the most recognised 'bank' brand in the UK is Lloyds TSB, 'The Black Horse'. This proud, rearing black stallion gives an impression of strength, substance, achievement and ethics. In this light, money and a globe gives the impression that the company is there to make money from everyone, everywhere.

Hope that helps you think about branding in a different light.

#134 Discontinuity

Discontinuity

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:12 AM

I made this one with basket...
Posted Image

Everything in the first one seems really pixely.

dEcade

Yeah I see it too...
Dunno what might be the reason...
Im gonna check it later then edit post...
Thanks

probably using save for web from illustrator? save as .eps then import into photoshop and use the save for web function there, or better still, import into fireworks and save out again. good work, especially for your first piece of illustrator design.

#135 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:03 AM

Never use a coin or any form of money in your logo!!

Every company makes money from its customers, thats the last thing you want to tell them.. Its the service or product you have to communicate and accentuate if you want to use an icon, not the money the customer has to pay for it.. :)

#136 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:23 AM

Never use a coin or any form of money in your logo!!

Every company makes money from its customers, thats the last thing you want to tell them.. Its the service or product you have to communicate and accentuate if you want to use an icon, not the money the customer has to pay for it.. :)

Good one, same goes for cigarettes...Never tell a man who smokes what he could actually buy for the money he spends on cigarettes ;)
He knows it :D

#137 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

Are we getting close? :blush:

Posted Image

#138 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

i've read all you said about my words, i'm okay with some ideas but not all.

i'm not going to argue cause we are here to produce you a logo that will fits your wish, you're the boss so lets do it another way, with a cart.

Posted Image

is it better ? on way ? improvments ?

p.s: i only use photoshop to put my 3 png files , exported from an svg one :/

Edited by alter-box, 11 September 2006 - 05:42 PM.

#139 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

No wonder the font didn't match...

Click on.....

I must that if you didn't purchase these (very expensive) icons then trying to use it as a logo (especially not for yourself) is quite wrong and even illegal. If you did purchase them, I'm still fairly sure trying to use one as a logo violates the terms of the website, as sharing is likely to be prohibited (They're usually priced per single license)

Please don't try this again...

Edited by mattyK, 12 September 2006 - 10:01 PM.

#140 Discontinuity

Discontinuity

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

Original Post

• All artwork must be original and be free of copyright, except regarding your intellectual property rights - the prize will require transferral of your rights as the author of the work to hancockconsulting.com.au.

Dear Adam,

Having looked at your personal site (icons from silk i recognise being used next to the floppy disc icon (free sample from a paid set), it seems commercially obvious that you've not bought the set. And even if you had it would contravene the rules set out in the original post - including the use of the star icon/note icon which are even more blatant uses of stock iconography. The reason I didn't respond earlier was lack of proof of illegal usage. http://www.iconbase.com/info.html proves the breaking of copyright law. Please consider yourself banned from this competiton and future competitions I hold - I have a strict zero tolerance policy on plagiarism in design (or indeed any other form) and hope you will reconsider your approach to logo design. While stock icons do have their uses and are a valuable way of improving some user interfaces, they should be used in the right place, at the right time, and with proper credit given.

regards,

John Hancock

Edited by Discontinuity, 12 September 2006 - 10:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users