Photo

Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin killed...

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 MK_LAGI

MK_LAGI

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:p2l :D

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:55 AM

RIP steve, why am I always the last one to find out :)

#22 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

Its not nothing exciting to find out thought :'(

Even so... you wouldn't want to go the rest of your life not knowing, would you?

#23 caboose

caboose

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:24 AM

yeah man i woke up 7am put the radio on and heard about it i couldnt belive it :)

#24 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Well that's just downright depressing. I used to and still do love this guy, i was addicted to everything about him when i was young. Very sad considering the last show i saw was him with his kids etc.

Very sad, very sad indeed (i was thinking this was going to be a joke from the title :))

#25 Ghost

Ghost

Honored P2L Member

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

He didn't dive onto it. He was swimming and filming, and the sting ray's barb went into him.

Choking back tears, Mr Stainton said Irwin had gone “over the top of a stingray and a stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart”.

http://www.news.com....49888-2,00.html

#26 syntex

syntex

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Photography, Music, My Band, Guitar and out of my mind experiences.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

Apparently his wife dosent know yet because shes at a remote location,
No communications whatsoever, Dunno if shes been notified since!
Thats so sad that the media finds out and the world before she does!

#27 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:18 AM

Apparently his wife dosent know yet because shes at a remote location,
No communications whatsoever, Dunno if shes been notified since!
Thats so sad that the media finds out and the world before she does!

well it wasnt released in the media till this morning (my time) when the incident happened about 13 hours before, so one would assumed they found his wife before releasing a statment. its just plain disrespectful not too and i doubt anything would have been said.

but anyways, like adam said, if you'd read one of the two links posted it says she was found and notified.

#28 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

how could something like this happen though? is a stingray barb on its front or on its tail? surely he mustve seen it coming and thought 'oh shit, i better move' ... the guy was experienced enough.

Apparently he didnt want and guards ( protection wise), because he thought he was safe. :(

- Adam :)

http://www.jerrylabe...y/stingray3.jpg

It came up from underneath him apparently, which means he was swimming over it. Which before anyone says it is not a massively stupid thing to do as they dont usually go stabbing them into people to my knowledge :D Apparently the damn thing put a hole in his heart, he didn't stand a chance whatever was done.

Just think if he had been a few centimeters behind or infront it would have hit somewhere else :(

Put "stringray barb" in google images, nearly ever image is of Steve Irwin. :(

Edited by .Matt, 04 September 2006 - 07:26 AM.

#29 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

how could something like this happen though? is a stingray barb on its front or on its tail? surely he mustve seen it coming and thought 'oh shit, i better move' ... the guy was experienced enough.

Apparently he didnt want and guards ( protection wise), because he thought he was safe. :D

- Adam :(

http://www.jerrylabe...y/stingray3.jpg

It came up from underneath him apparently, which means he was swimming over it. Which before anyone says it is not a massively stupid thing to do as they dont usually go stabbing them into people to my knowledge :( Apparently the damn thing put a hole in his heart, he didn't stand a chance whatever was done.

Just think if he had been a few centimeters behind or infront it would have hit somewhere else :(

Put "stringray barb" in google images, nearly ever image is of Steve Irwin. :(

on that first link i think bug posted, it says the camera man was also in front of the ray, which could have left it feeling threatened, hence the attack (or defence, however you look at it).

it also mentions the barb was 20cm long and that they have serrated edges... so im guessing that instead of it being just a punture wound to his heart, it would rip it to shreds when pulled out which is probably why they reckon he may have died on the spot :) so im assuming a few centimetres up or down and it probably would have had the same effect on his lung or any other organ in the area, and coupled with a 30 minute boat ride to the island for the waiting helicopter, still wouldnt have left him with much chance to survive. but like you said, thats the difference between life and death sometimes i guess... centimetres.

#30 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

sad news, but honestly, this had to happen sooner or later according to the things he did...

#31 lipsum1992

lipsum1992

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

Last person you would expect to get killed by an animal, poor guy was only 44 and had 2 little kids. Sad to hear about it.

#32 Illinifan91

Illinifan91

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

atleast he died doing what he loved.

#33 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

it also mentions the barb was 20cm long and that they have serrated edges... so im guessing that instead of it being just a punture wound to his heart, it would rip it to shreds when pulled out which is probably why they reckon he may have died on the spot <_< so im assuming a few centimetres up or down and it probably would have had the same effect on his lung or any other organ in the area, and coupled with a 30 minute boat ride to the island for the waiting helicopter, still wouldnt have left him with much chance to survive. but like you said, thats the difference between life and death sometimes i guess... centimetres.

You can't just pull a stingray barb out, they're one of the hardest things to have removed as the barbs point backwards and do the most damage when you remove them they will shred your flesh Stu so yes they're right, plus they have poison on them. I've had one in my hand 7.5cms when I used to go bowfishing in australia. They hurt like hell they have to be cut out.

They're saying 20cms? wow that's huge.

Steve would of had no chance even had they of got him to a hospital on time. :P Stingrays are not agressive unless provoked or startled and I'm still stunned by this news and what a painful way to die so very sad.

#34 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

Im still very stunned by the way he died, (i mean from an animal) i mean lets face it, the man knew what he was doing. Comes down to animals being unpredictable i guess (as are humans).

#35 Illinifan91

Illinifan91

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

20 cms omg thats big im never swimming the ocean again.

#36 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

it also mentions the barb was 20cm long and that they have serrated edges... so im guessing that instead of it being just a punture wound to his heart, it would rip it to shreds when pulled out which is probably why they reckon he may have died on the spot ;) so im assuming a few centimetres up or down and it probably would have had the same effect on his lung or any other organ in the area, and coupled with a 30 minute boat ride to the island for the waiting helicopter, still wouldnt have left him with much chance to survive. but like you said, thats the difference between life and death sometimes i guess... centimetres.

You can't just pull a stingray barb out, they're one of the hardest things to have removed as the barbs point backwards and do the most damage when you remove them they will shred your flesh Stu so yes they're right, plus they have poison on them. I've had one in my hand 7.5cms when I used to go bowfishing in australia. They hurt like hell they have to be cut out.

Steve would of had no chance even had they of got him to a hospital on time. :) Stingrays are not agressive unless provoked or startled and I'm still stunned by this news and what a painful way to die so very sad.

i suppose 20cm could be normal for a stingray with a wingspan of 2.5 metres (which this one apparently was). do stingray barbs always get stuck? or do they sometimes come out intact when the stingrays tail pulls away?

#37 Illinifan91

Illinifan91

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

it also mentions the barb was 20cm long and that they have serrated edges... so im guessing that instead of it being just a punture wound to his heart, it would rip it to shreds when pulled out which is probably why they reckon he may have died on the spot ;) so im assuming a few centimetres up or down and it probably would have had the same effect on his lung or any other organ in the area, and coupled with a 30 minute boat ride to the island for the waiting helicopter, still wouldnt have left him with much chance to survive. but like you said, thats the difference between life and death sometimes i guess... centimetres.

Steve would of had no chance even had they of got him to a hospital on time. :) Stingrays are not agressive unless provoked or startled and I'm still stunned by this news and what a painful way to die so very sad.

i suppose 20cm could be normal for a stingray with a wingspan of 2.5 metres (which this one apparently was). do stingray barbs always get stuck? or do they sometimes come out intact when the stingrays tail pulls away?

i believe its a like a fish hook so it would hook and pull so if it went backwards it might come out.

#38 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Don't know if they always break off when I got stung it broke off and the ray was no bigger than a dinner plate, remember many news stories of people being stung by them when I lived in Australia but they're really very harmless, the little barbs do just as much damage as the bigger ones and they can break off in fragments the barbs are backwards so you cannot just pull them straight out.

Size of a ray doesn't necessarily mean they have big barbs either I've seen tiny ones with huge barbs and large ones with tiny barbs and rays with double barbs, then rays with no barbs at all.

This is just a freaky accident what happened to Steve poor guy, even worldwide theres only a few reported incidents of death from barb stings and now the Media will have a field day warning everyone of the dangers and scaring the hell outta people like they usually do when a famous person dies.

Was just watching the video news http://cosmos.bcst.y...r...4&ch=248154 ;)

#39 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

That sucks ;) R.I.P

Hoot

#40 MK_LAGI

MK_LAGI

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:p2l :D

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Feels like something is missing from the planet now, hmm... Doesnt feel good. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users